Students do their part to help conserve water in drought

Jessica Lee, Feature Editor

According to “National Geographic,” California is currently facing the worst drought since record keeping began in the mid-1900s.

On January 17, Gov. Brown declared a State of Emergency and instructed all state officials to take any necessary actions to prepare for drought conditions.  In the State of Emergency declaration, Brown directed state officials to help farmers and communities economically affected by drought conditions, as well as guarantee that the state can respond to drinking water shortages.  Brown has additionally directed state agencies to use less water, hire more firefighters, and expand on a water conservation campaign.

According to Capital Public Radio, Stockton, however, has enough water to make it through the summer.  Stockton primarily depends on the New Melones and New Hogan reservoirs for most of its water.  The lack of rain may decrease the water supply, but the city has another water supply underground.

Bob Granberg from Stockton’s Municipal Utilities Department oversees Stockton’s water resources.  Granberg, according to Capital Public Radio, states that over the past decade Stockton has been able to replenish its underground supply, using about 10 percent groundwater and 90 percent surface water.  Extreme water rationing shouldn’t be necessary this summer.

As of now, Stockton has no unusual restrictions. Standard water conservation rules do still apply, however, and Bear Creek students have been doing their part to conserve water.

“I’m trying to use less water by taking shorter showers and not letting the faucet run when I brush my teeth,” junior Golden Nguyen said.  “I’ve also changed the sprinkler system so it waters the grass before the sun’s out, just simple things that help conserve water.”

“I’ve been taking shorter showers and I don’t let the water run when I’m not using it,” sophomore Daniel Barajas said.

“When I brush my teeth, I turn off the water,” freshmen Pearl Huong said.  “I also shower for shorter periods.”

Unfortunately, according to ca.gov, state water officials are declaring that California’s rivers and reservoirs have reached an all-time low. Manual and electronic readings record the snowpack statewide water content at around 20 percent of the normal average around this time of the year.

News10 states that 68 percent of the state is in an extreme drought as of Feb. 20.