Laughter wins in latest ComedySportz battle

Sophaline Chuong, Staff Writer

Parents and students crowded into the BC theater for the ComedySportz game on February 14 — an evening full of wit, quick-thinking and nerves of steel.

Bear Creek faced off against Lodi High School in a game of Improv Comedy that resulted in a close call with Bear Creek winning 28-23.

Bear Creek’s first half team included captain Crissy ‘Vitamin C’ Johns, Meagan ‘Meggles’ Blachly, Elizabeth ‘Ellen’ Malone and Austin ‘Bagle’ Buell.

The second half team was captain Jonah ‘Big Bertha’ Beavert, David ‘The Bombdiggity’ Hancock, Kelsie ‘Solo Kelsie’ Hughes and Saren ‘Sarendipity’ Sommerville.

Each team performed different games on stage suggested by from loyal fans — topics that range from turtles to apricots.

The Improv Comedy regulars reacted quickly with clever improvised responses such as getting their head chopped off by a roller coaster as a choice in the game of Scantron.

Players may say anything witty to make audiences laugh, but there are penalties involved.

These penalties include a delay of game, called when players take too long to say a line; a groaner foul, called when a player says a bad pun, making the audience groan;  and the brown bag foul, called when a player makes an inappropriate joke, leading to the player wearing wear a brown bag over his head.

The team players entertained the audience with Columns, Foursquare, Burneys, Spelling Bee, Scantron, Boo-yah!, 185 (punchline), Try It on for Size, Replay, Advice Panel, and Hey Waiter.

In the opening rounds of the first half, the audience was split on who was the clear winner.

The winner, determined by referee Jessilee Windhaus, decided how much noise for each school was created as she moved her arms as an applause meter.

Every line a competitor makes that wins a laugh is a point.  If no laugh is elicited, a duck noise is blown by the referee during the games.

Next, the captains led the choice games.  These games require immense creativity with improv roles. The closing game was a free for all.  Both teams had to come up front and battle it out with witty lines.

The rounds repeated in the second half of the game, but with different competitors and games.

Freshman David Hancock took up an improv role of being a hunter with an accent in the game Burneys with the topic of turtles.

Each team player acted out an improv role and played out a skit.  However, they had to keep replaying the skit by the referee calls, but each time a role became a lifeless body that was acted by the help of the other players.

“It was fun,” Hancock said.  “I thought who else wanted a turtle — a turtle hunter.”

The unseen voice of senior Mahalia Barrow announced the final score after tallying up all the points from every round of the night, while the audience made a thundering noise with their feet.

“The game was fair,” freshman Elizabeth Malone said. “It was a close game.”

Players said they felt great about their performance, although Jonah Beavert, a junior, admitted it was nerve-wracking.

“[It] went pretty well with a new timer being captain, so there was pressure,” Beavert said. “The first time, I was so nervous. When the other side messed up, it broke the ice. I felt so much better.”

“I felt my performance had a lot of energy,” Malone said. “I knew the Lodi kids. Our team did really good against Lodi.”

The game was a great night for the audiences and players, most of whom laughed hysterically.