Companies use SAT scores to weed out weak applicants

Sophaline Chuong, Staff Writer

Imagine walking into an interview with a recruiter from the most elite businesses in the world and being asked your SAT score.  Everything you worked hard for in college is just as high stakes as is the exam taken back in high school.

Students at Bear Creek are shocked to hear that not only colleges, but companies — especially highly competitive global marketing and finance firms — use the SATs.

“I did not know that,” senior Beatriz Mesa said. “I feel like it is unnecessary.”

The aptitude test by the College Board is designed to see the raw brain power of students to allow universities a glimpse at the skills students have.  However, some employers use the score as one of the criteria points for hiring.

Corporations such as the prestigious consulting firm McKinsey & Company, who get applicants, numbers in the thousands, say that the SATs can be valuable data points when a candidate is competing with others with the same amount of work experience.

Companies — especially highly competitive global marketing and finance firms — use the SATs.”

Head of recruiting at the Boston Consulting Group, Jennifer Comparoni, said in an interview with “The New York Times” that the score helps get a complete picture of the applicant.

“It can be reasonable and useful proxy for some of the things that we’re looking for,” Comparoni said.

Sophomore Mariah Macato says that knowing an applicant score can be useful for the companies that have a large applicant pool.

“I need to study harder for the SATs now,” Macato said.

Students understand why businesses ask for SATs scores.  However, some question whether the score is still relevant years after the test is taken.

“It isn’t wrong, but it is pointless,” senior Efren Rodriguez said.  “The score could not reflect the intelligence of yourself compared to in high school.”

“Some businesses require more educational levels than others,” junior Hieu Huynh said. “But I believe that the scores do not reflect your personality.  They are just numbers in a sense.”

The job market is becoming more competitive with academic expectations reaching new standards. Some applicants willingly divulge test scores to have an edge against others.

Meza questions the validity of basing her future on a four-hour exam.

“I am worried because my scores were average,” Meza said.  “I would be mad if my SATs affected [my ability to] get a job.”