Is there such a thing as secrets?

Lisa Nguyen, Staff Writer

In an age where social media leaves very little to the imagination and people feel free to expose all levels of their personal life, many people wonder—is there such thing as a secret?

Even more compelling, what happens when someone entrusts you to keep a secret?

Some secrets, such as birthday surprises, Christmas presents or even one’s guilty pleasures, are acceptable to keep private.  However, other secrets are not, such as those that may be more serious—especially if they have the power to endanger someone else.

Regardless of what type of secret it is, many have the tendency to share their secrets with their family, best friends or even anybody else that is interested and willing to listen.

“I shared a secret to someone else because I felt too much pressure when I dealt with it alone,” a student who wanted to remain anonymous said.  “I felt a sense of comfort because I had someone to talk to and I knew I wasn’t the only one who had to keep the secret.”

Sharing secrets may offer relief to those who choose to share them, but at the same time, it makes others wonder if their secrets are really safe.

“After I found out she told my secret, I felt like I couldn’t trust anybody,” another anonymous student said. “She’s the reason I have trust issues.”

The disloyalty and unfaithfulness from a friend leaves students feeling deceived.

“I felt betrayed,” sophomore Tawajane’ Stevenson said. “She didn’t consider my feelings. She just did what she wanted to do and took it into her own hands.”

Aside from relief, Stevenson offers other possible motives for telling secrets.

“Some people just like to tell everybody everything,” Stevenson said.  “I think the main reason why people tell secrets is to start drama.”

The reasons for telling secrets widely differs.

“Maybe their secrets are so surprising that they want to tell other people about it,” freshman Tyler Scott said.

Regardless of what the reason is, studies show that a secret is eventually leaked just after about 32 minutes.

One study by Simple, a facial skincare brand, questioned 3,000 women and revealed that one in 10 of the women were unable to keep a secret.

“Spilling the beans in just 32 minutes is very fast work, but with modern technology someone’s juicy secret can be spread to a huge amount of people all over the world in a very short space of time,” a spokesperson for Simple said to Daily Mail.

Although the study focuses on women in particular, men are not excluded from sharing secrets.

“I’ve shared a secret before,” senior Anthony Vega said. “I feel guilty about telling someone something that I wasn’t supposed to.”

One may never know if his or her secret is safe or not; it all depends on what the secret is and who one chooses to tell.  Letting out secrets can be beneficial if it truly helps someone, but can also lead to feelings of betrayal and distrust.