Popular young adult novel hits the big screen

Natalia Gevara, Staff Writer

The_Fault_in_Our_StarsWith metaphors of infinities, constellations, and its ability to move readers with a simply ‘okay,’  “The Fault in Our Stars”, a young adult novel written by John Green, has touched readers with every word embedded in its pages. To the excitement of its fans, the film adaptation of the book is set to be released in June.

The story follows Hazel Grace Lancaster, a 16-year-old girl diagnosed with thyroid cancer that has spread to her lungs. Hazel Grace is forced to go to a cancer support group by her parents, where she meets the charming and philosophical Augustus Waters an ex-basketball player and amputee.

The book highlights their journey of falling in love, and Hazel Grace’s discovery that “some infinities are bigger than other infinities.”

“The Fault in Our Stars” has become extremely popular among teenagers, debuting at number one on “The New York Times” Best Seller list at the time of its 2012 release, being called “damn near genius.”

The book touches on a subject not commonly mentioned in young adult fiction books: cancer.                                                                                                                                                             According to The American Cancer Society, cancer remains the second leading cause of death in children, about 1,350 children younger than 15 years old are expected to die from cancer in 2014.

With such a sensitive topic, it makes one wonder if people whose lives have not been affected by cancer can truly relate to the book.

“The plot of the book reminded me of what I went through with my father who was diagnosed with cancer,” sophomore Breanna Moseley said, “it’s really dead on about the subject.”

Hazel Grace’s ability to relate with teenage cancer patients is what makes her different from other characters in young adult literature, she struggles to remain strong when facing her illness, and she is often concerned with how her loved ones feel.

“Some people cried and some people were angry,” Tokay High School cancer patient Andrae Sanchez said, “but no matter what I was feeling, I knew I was not going to lose this battle.”

Regardless of her cancer, Hazel Grace remains an ordinary teenage girl. The book also explores topics of young love, self discovery, her feelings of depression and loneliness which many young readers can relate to as well.

“Hazel Grace is a really strong character,” freshman Andrea Castro said, “she feels like she’s never good enough, until she meets Augustus, who thinks she’s amazing, I think a lot of girls would want that.”                                                                                                                                                The announcement of the film adaptation has fans anticipating its release.

“I’m excited, but I’m scared, I’m afraid it won’t live up to me expectations,” Castro said.

Other students hold high hopes for the film.

“I have high expectations for the film, because I loved the book so much,” sophomore Graschelle Hipolito said.                                                                                                                                    However, according to the author, the fans do not need to worry about the movies faithfulness to the book.

“I love it,” John Green said in ‘USA Today’, “It’s a wonderfully faithful adaption.”

The books inspirational metaphors, relatable characters,  and heart-breaking plot twist is what ultimately makes its readers feel moved after reading it.

“I believe that the movie will remain faithful to the story,” freshman Sarah Dyman said, “it’s such a great story with such a great lesson.”

With its summer movie release, it’s easy to assume the many more people will be touched by Hazel Grace and Augustus Water’s story of what the book refers to as their ‘little infinity.’