What is on your app list?

Christine Neak, Staff Writer

Want to know what’s trending this year for all the hottest apps? Here’s a list of the top rated apps that students at Bear Creek enjoy.

Topping the list is Instagram. Instagram is an online photo-sharing, video sharing and social networking service that enables its users to take pictures and videos, apply digital filters to them, and share them on a variety of social networking services such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Flickr.

“I like posting pictures and also seeing other people’s pictures,” sophomore Michelle Galloway said.

“It’s fun to see what people are doing,” sophomore Nick Riel said.

“I enjoy looking at my pictures,” junior Arianna Spencer added.

“It lets you stay connected to family and friends,” sophomore Isabel Gomez said. “At the same time it lets you share your memorable moments.”

Instagram has won several awards. It was listed among “Time‘s” 50 Best Android Applications for 2013 and was named “App of the Year” for 2011 by Apple,Inc.

Twitter comes in second as an online social networking and microblogging service that enables users to send and read short 140-character text messages called “tweets.”

“You can interact with people through media and stay in touch,” sophomore Jake Stewart said.

“My favorite is Twitter because it keeps me updated with what goes on around school,” senior Faye Dela Cruz said. “Also, I use it to follow my favorite celebrities.”

In 2013, Twitter was one of the 10 most-visited websites and has been described as the “SMS of the Internet” by “Business Standard.”

Following closely behind, Snapchat is a photo messaging app where users can take photos, record videos, add text and drawings and send them to a controlled list of recipients.

“I can talk to all my friends without checking the messages,” freshman Jasmine Bowen said.

“Now with the updates you can video-chat people,” senior Brian Hoang said. “You can keep up to date with everything with just a click of a picture.”

According to Snapchat, in May, the app’s users were sending 700 million photos and videos per day.

Next in line is Reddit. Reddit is an entertainment, social networking service and news website where registered community members can submit content, such as text posts or direct links.

“Anything you can think of is on there,” sophomore Victor Munoz said. “It has topics on anything you can think of.”

In May 2010, Reddit was named in Lead411’s “2010 Hottest San Francisco Companies” list. Furthermore, Reddit has been known as the instigator of several charity projects, some short and others long-term, in order to benefit others. According to Direct Relief International, Reddit users donated $185,356.70 to Haiti after the earthquake devastated the island in January 2010.

Also popular is Pinterest. Pinterest is a visual discovery tool that people use to collect ideas for their different projects and interests. People create and share collections of visual bookmarks called “Pins” that they use to do things like plan trips and projects, organize events or save articles and recipes.

“I really like the DIY’S (design it yourselves) because it gives you a lot of ideas and helps you save money,” senior Beatriz Meza said.

“Pinterest is an app and website where you can find ideas for DIY crafts, hair ideas, makeup,” freshman Sarah Gyman said, “and they have a humor section if you want a good laugh.”

A study released in July 2013 by French social media agency Semiocast revealed that Pinterest had 70 million users worldwide.

Coming in sixth is YouTube.   YouTube is is a video-sharing website, on which users can upload, view and share videos.

“You get to watch tons of videos and it gives you entertainment,” freshman Katherine Keo said.

“It’s really convenient to have all the videos on Youtube to be accessible through your phone,” senior Tomas Leonhart said.

Youtube has made a social impact in the world. A Pew Research Center study reported the development of “visual journalism,” in which citizen eyewitnesses and established news organizations share in content creation.The study also concluded that YouTube is becoming an important platform by which people acquire news.

Another popular social networking website is Tumblr. Tumblr is a microblogging platform and social networking website which allows users to post multimedia and other content to a short-form blog.

“It’s fun and it helps pass time and it’s more interesting than games,” freshman Carlos Rebolledo said.

As of May 1, 2014, Tumblr hosted over 184 million blogs.

These apps get better and better every year. There might even be an app in the future that combines all these apps into one. Who knows?

PSsnapchat