Voices

Ditch the remote and have the best summer ever 

Summer has arrived, and with it a loss of interest in academia. Students are tuning into Twitter feeds, turning on the TV, and dropping out until August — oops, make that July 25.

We know students are always eager when summer promises a full day’s sleep, uninterrupted video game sessions, and plenty of quality TV. Many students claim summer as their favorite season.

But isn’t there more to summer than your Twitter feed, your bed, Call of Duty, gatorade and a fat bag of Doritos?

Summer is a beautiful time of year. There is much more to do than pull all-nighters trying to see how much of the game you can get played. Put down the Red Bull. Go outside. Spend some time in the sun — but wear sunscreen, of course.

We cannot expect many students to heed our advice and spend all summer reading classic novels and debating philosophy. Rather, we encourage students to spend time outdoors with friends and family, enjoying the cultural and natural beauty of California.

You can go boating on Stockton’s Delta. You can try all types of water sports. You can go hiking, try photography, and observe wildlife.

You can volunteer at soup kitchens like St. Mary’s Dining Hall, take summer enrichment classes at Delta College and UOP, or volunteer with the city’s Parks and Recreation Department.

You can take a trip to the beach, explore San Francisco’s waterfront, take in the majestic Lake Tahoe, or hike around the picturesque falls of Yosemite. We recommend writing an exciting summer break story that you can be proud to tell when school resumes in August — we mean July 25.

Stockton police should work to build trust with students 

With all the rumors circulating on campus about police officers invoking excessive use of force, it’s small wonder that many young people find their faith in the law and trust in the police waning considerably.

While we understand that many police officers are honest, trustworthy, and commendable, police brutality is a reality. Like the case of Rodney King in 1992 and the alleged police brutality in the case of James Rivera, the actions of the police can elicit powerful responses from civilians.

Police, you have one job: enforce the laws. Enforce the laws as the courts have interpreted them. You are legally required to read the Miranda Rights to anyone you place under arrest. Understand also that when you make an arrest in public and a member of the public records your activities, it can be illegal for you to seize their cell phones and video recordings.

The First and Seventh Circuit Courts of Appeals have ruled that because on-duty police officers do not reserve privacy rights, the First Amendment protects the right of civilians to peacefully record you with or without your consent so long as they do not interfere with official police business.

When and if law enforcement officers engage in police brutality, naturally rebellious and skeptical young people become incensed.

We encourage school resource officers to build trust with disillusioned Bear Creek students because distrust of law enforcement cannot yield a fruitful relationship. Every Bear Creek student should feel protected by the police because those officers have taken an oath to protect and serve the public, and must do so with the honor, honesty, and dignity deserving of their badge.