Seniors sign letters of intent

Seniors sign letters of intent

Brandon Miramontes, Sports Editor

During the 2013-2014 year a number of seniors have pursued the chance of playing sports on the collegiate level. During the month of April, seven Bear Creek seniors signed a letter of intent, committing themselves to play for a collegiate team.

Senior Ashlyn Jones signed to play basketball with William Jessup University in hopes of extending her basketball career.

“I chose William Jessup because it is close to home and I had already met with the coach,” Jones said.

Jones plans to prepare for her season as a college freshman by working out in the weight room and playing basketball daily.

Senior Philip English signed to play golf with Menlo College. He chose this college because of its location and its exceptional golf team. Menlo’s golf team frequently participates in tournaments and placed third at the Oregon Tech invitational in 2013.

“Menlo has a good golf team, and they play on very good courses,” English said.

English also plans to practice golf as much as he can before he attends Menlo.

“I will practice a lot over the summer,” English said. “I will also play in various tournaments to prepare for the pressure of playing on the collegiate level.”

Senior Tristen Smith plans to wrestle for Bacone College in Oklahoma.

“I chose Bacone College because, when I came to Stockton, I was placed in the wrong math class and only received three years worth of credits,” Smith said. “I needed four years of math credits to get into Oklahoma University, so I plan to go to Bacone and complete my math credit and transfer to Oklahoma University.”

To prepare for wrestling at Bacone, Smith will follow a workout plan to complete over the summer. The plan consists of workouts every other day and includes numerous hours of wrestling.

Seniors Arianna Montiel, Kara Balagey, Nickolette Kramer, and Alexsys Lesan all plan to play softball on the collegiate level. Montiel signed with CSU San Bernardino; Balagey signed with CSU Dominguez Hills; Kramer signed with Corban University; and Lesan signed with Hope International University.

“I chose Corban University because it has a really good softball program, is a private school, and is far away from California,” Kramer said. “I also plan to complete a workout program over the summer to prepare me for the collegiate level.”

Montiel also plans to prepare for collegiate level softball over the summer.

“I am going to play travel softball over the summer and go to a strength and conditioning coach,” Montiel said. “I hope that it is enough to prepare me to play on the collegiate level.”