‘Rumors’ brings laughter and suspense to BC theatre

Natalia Gevara, Entertainment Editor

Intense love affairs, outrageous fabrications, and situations so improbable that they are nearly scandalous — all told in the comical farce titled “Rumors.”
“Rumors” hit the BC theatre September 18 and had a total of six outstanding performances.
The play revolves around the 10th anniversary party of Charley and Myra Brock — when things take a drastic turn for the worst. Myra goes missing, the kitchen staff is nowhere to be found, and Charley is found in a disoriented state after being shot in the head.
Friends of the couple — Ken and Chris Gorman played by sophomore Dalin Nelson and junior Reagan Sytsma — are at their wits end to handle the situation and find out exactly what happened.
“Rumors” is only one of several plays Sytsma has participated in, which is demonstrated by her ability to enrapture audiences with her inherit talent
Nelson also offered an intriguing performance with his quick-witted lines contributing to a majority of the laughter from audiences.
The play also stars sophomore David Hancock and senior Alexa Castleman as Leonard “Lenny’” and Claire Ganz, sophomore Elizabeth Malone and senior Jonah Beavert as Cookie and Ernie Cusack, seniors Jacob Williams and Amanda Lemon as Glenn and Cassie Cooper, and seniors Kelsie Hughes and Zachary Denney as Officer Welch and Officer Pudney.
In all of the play’s nonsense, Jonah Beavert was the most banal of the cast, giving a somewhat rigid performance.
Beavert stood by Malone’s side for the majority of the play, who delivered her lines in an entertaining but rather exaggerated manner.
However, Hancock was the one who stole the show. The young actor captivated audiences with his natural charm, in addition to the one page monologue he recited effortlessly at the end of the performance.
The farce drove audiences to tears with its flagrant humor and scenes that kept viewers’ eyes glued to the stage until the final curtain call.
The BC theatre takes credit for their production’s success, and most notably their comedies, which typically prove to be most popular among students and staff alike.
Although “Rumors” brought immense joy to its audiences — the cast itself made memories of a lifetime during the play’s run.
“Everybody just forms a sort of bond,” Hughes said. “It’s like you get to spend week after week with your best friends and you create a production that everyone enjoys.”
The experience is nothing short of humbling for the actors on stage.
“I know in high school that shows usually aren’t as popular, so it feels really good to know that people like it,” Nelson said.
“It amazes me,” Malone said of the play’s positive feedback.“We’re getting credit for something we love to do and it just makes me love theatre even more.”
Furthermore, “Rumors” is also credited with setting an honorable precedent for the BC theatre in comparison to last year.
“Last year we weren’t as focused as we are this year,” Sytsma said, “but now we’re much more prepared and ready to take on anything.”
Director Richard Harlow praises the cast for the production’s popularity. “We had kids who stepped up and took on leading roles who have not been in leading roles before,” Harlow said. “I thought they did a terrific job.”
By the end of the play, “Rumors” takes a plot twist unlike any other that leaves audiences to draw their own conclusion of what exactly happened to Charley and Myra.
“I actually got really excited,” senior Manny Barrientos said. “I thought that there was going to be a second part.”