Clubs give back to the community this holiday season

Graschelle Hipolito, Sports Editor

Two volunteers, along with (left to right) juniors Rylan Ladion, Jasmine Irada, and Daniel Barajas from BCHS Key Club participate in Lodi's Stuff the Bus 2014. The food collected will contribute to feeding thousands of people in the country this season.
Bear Creek Key Club
Two volunteers, along with (left to right) juniors Rylan Ladion, Jasmine Irada, and Daniel Barajas from BCHS Key Club participate in Lodi’s Stuff the Bus 2014. The food collected will contribute to feeding thousands of people in the country this season.

Bear Creek clubs have gotten into the holiday spirit by preparing for events and activities to give back to the community.

Key Club, one of the largest clubs on Bear Creek’s campus with 96 members, volunteered in Bread of Life and Stuff the Bus 2014 in Lodi. Stuff the Bus is an annual countywide effort sponsored by the Lodi Food Bank that collects donations for the Greater Stockton Emergency Food Bank, Salvation Army, Second Harvest Food Bank, and Escalon CARE. Both events are focused around providing food for the needy.

“As a community service club, our focus is serving the community and those in need,” junior Key Club vice president Daniel Barajas said.

The food collected from Stuff the Bus 2014 will contribute to feeding thousands of people in the county this season.

Another charitable Bear Creek club, Red Cross, recently participated in the Sharing & Caring Coat, Blanket and Sock Drive to provide for people in the community.

“People in need came in and we gave out a lot of coats, clothes, and blankets,” junior Red Cross vice president Hillary Nguyen-Pham said.

Bear Creek’s Glee club will hold Christmas caroling at The Commons Senior Living Center to spread their talent and holiday spirit to others. LIFE club also held a canned food drive to collect non-perishable items for donation over the holidays. Boxes were placed in many classrooms across campus for students to encourage donations.
Make-A-Wish club, one of the newest on Bear Creek’s campus, plans to organize a non-profitable event in which people can bring unwrapped gifts and members will work together to wrap them.

“I think it’s important to remember that the holidays are more about giving and not receiving, and that’s what we want to encourage our members to do,” junior Make-A-Wish president Ashley Pana said.

The holidays allow many clubs on campus to get involved in giving back to the community. It’s a time that fosters charity and for people to open their hearts in holiday spirit. Clubs offer a wide array of holidays events to expose students to ways of getting active.

“The holidays are a time when everyone should be happy so we do our best to help those in need,” Barajas said. “We will continue volunteering at holiday-focused events to help as many people enjoy the holiday season as possible.”