Maintain progress on New Year’s fitness resolutions

Jack Stensland, Sports Editor

“New year, new me” is what students all over the country say as they make their resolutions to improve their lifestyles for the upcoming year. Unfortunately, these resolutions usually turn out to be only fantasies as students often cut their goals short.

Of the 45 percent of Americans who consistently make resolutions year in and year out, 38 percent of their resolutions are weight related and 74 percent of all resolutions are unsuccessful based on a poll by statisticsbrain.com. How can this high rate of failure be minimized?

Motivation, dedication and support are the easiest ways to stick to the regimen needed to make resolutions a success.

“I found my motivation after watching documentary after documentary of the lives of overweight people,” math teacher Eric Vallecillo said. “I did not want to go down the same road they were going through, and I forced myself to make the change for a healthy lifestyle.”

Over the last two years, Vallecillo’s change in diet and exercise schedule has caused him to become “addicted to health.” He has lost a total of 60 pounds and is close to reaching his final goal of being 190 pounds and completely healthy.

Dedication to a healthy lifestyle can be found throughout the sports world — especially in the higher levels of play such as college or professional. The more participation in healthy activities, the higher the probability of keeping healthy habits throughout life.

After a professional basketball career in Europe, chemistry teacher Steve Meredith continues to stay active through the low impact activity of swimming.

“It is important to balance the input of calories with the output of energy,” Meredith said. “Keeping to a daily workout regimen that includes flexibility, cardio and strength components makes me feel my best.”

Spanish teacher Andres Gil has also extended his sports career into his adult life. Gil continues to compete in cycling races and says that this competition has molded his diet to a health first plan.

“I’ve grown so accustomed to eating healthy that I now feel sick after eating fat-filled foods,” Gil said.

A healthy diet and regular exercise are physical necessities to accomplishing weight loss goals. These, however, are nothing without the emotional reinforcement support that peers provide. Support is a main key in staying motivated and committed to a resolution.

Vallecillo, Meredith and Gil would not be where they are today without some sort of support system — whether it came from teammates or spouses. Sophomore Cory Faamausili finds his support from friends and family.

Faamausili has been involved with cross country and swimming since his freshman year in order to get into better physical shape and live a healthier lifestyle. He also participates in his new favorite activities: dancing and cheerleading. With the support of his parents, siblings and close friends he has begun to increase his load of activities and take on healthy living.

“Being in better shape gives me the confidence I lacked before,” Faamausili said. “I look better, feel better, have more mobility and energy now that I am getting healthier.”

Weight related New Years resolutions are obtainable with motivation, dedication and support. With more people reaching their weight loss goals, more people will be able to experience the satisfying benefits of living a healthy life.

“Health and exercise are priceless,” Gil said. “After I finish a workout I feel sharp, energized, calm and ready to go on with the day’s events. If everyone was active four days of the week, we would all feel the natural high exercise creates.”