Talent shows support local fundraising causes

Anissa Ypon, Staff Writer

Not all Bear Creek students have received the recognition they deserve for their talents, but recently they’ve been given the chance to flaunt their hidden talents.

The Lodi Unified School District held its annual GOT Kids Talent Show on February 13, and six of the participants represented Bear Creek. Also, senior Annie Nguyen held a student talent show in the Bear Creek theater for her senior project and to support the Make-A-Wish Foundation on February 20.

From dancing, singing and instrumentals to stand up comedy with a few splits and kicks in between, students showed that there’s more to what meets the eye when it comes to talent.

“I liked the show,” theater teacher Richard Harlow said. “Talent shows affirm students to get up on stage and perform.”

GOT Kids (Giving Opportunities to Kids) was founded in 2012 as a nonprofit organization that aims to fund academic and extra-curricular programs through donations referred to as “A Request For Funds.”

“It’s a service that gives kids a second chance to education,” junior violinist Ayocuan Pacheco said. “It helps them receive funds for programs that children need.”

The organization recently held a talent show at the McNair High School theater that was not intended for fundraising, but to showcase the talent amongst LUSD’s student body. Pacheco and five other Bear Creek students participated, including senior Huy Le who earned a first place trophy for the second year in a row for playing the piano. He also won a $200 award.

“What got me to participate was that it seemed interesting,” Le said. “I think in some ways it coincided with the goal of the foundation.”

To support anti-bullying, music and athletic programs, the organization hosts assemblies and events as well as encourages educators request funds. With the goal to provide funding to schools, the GOT Kids Foundation remains a major financial supporter for LUSD.

Another well-known organization that funds opportunities to children is the Make-A-Wish Foundation. This organization serves children with life-threatening medical conditions across the United States and its territories. Make-A-Wish grants children’s wishes with the hope of changing their life in a positive way.

Most children who are a part of Make-A-Wish are said to have an endless imagination, and the foundation grants a child’s creative wishes that range from meeting a celebrity, being a fireman for the day or visiting Disney World, to wishing for a better world.

“To connect with the foundation I talked to the development manager Kerry Mangalindan,” senior Annie Nguyen said. “I explained to her that I wanted to start a Make-A-Wish club on campus to help raise money for the children with life threatening medical conditions and spread awareness.”

In return, the Make-A-Wish Foundation provided banners, balloons, stars, a MAWF calendar and informational brochures. The foundation also gave a few tips on how to spread awareness and make the first-year club successful.

Nguyen focused her senior project topic on the goals of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. After participating in several events, Nguyen recently hosted a Bear Creek talent show for a $5 entry fee. All profits were then donated to Make-A-Wish.

“At first I had no interest in the talent show,” first place winner Zachary Victorio, who played a jazzy tune on the piano said. “But then Annie insisted I joined and I wanted to help with the cause.”

Not only did participants have an opportunity to showcase their talents, they were also able to contribute to the Make-A-Wish goal. Since Make-A-Wish became a club at Bear Creek, it has raised a total of $1,344 and intends to continue its fundraising by holding other beneficial events.