Spring Sports Wrap-Up

Jack Stensland, Staff Writer

The Bruins experienced yet another successful sports season across the board for badminton, baseball, golf, soccer, swimming, softball, tennis and track and field. When league results were finalized, the Bruins all finished at or near the top.

Badminton
Boys finished the season with an undefeated league record of 10-0 led by the top three singles: seniors Justin No, Evan Gong and Thanh Le.

“The non-stop competition at practice helps the team get game ready,” Le said. “We get used to playing with high intensity, and it carries over to our matches.”

Girls are 4-6 collectively but sophomore Jasmin Tran appears to be on her way to an individual league title. Tran went undefeated in her matches this season. The girls team lost to Franklin, Edison, Chavez and Stagg.

Baseball
The bats of players Mateo Romero, Justin Wallis, Zack Mathis, Nate Torres and Connor Campigli were hot for the Bruins all year. Double-digit numbers of hits every game lifted the team to a league record of 12-3 and 19-8 overall. Aside from an upset defeat against Stagg and a tough pair of losses to McNair, the team dominated in the SJAA league.

Pitcher Kyle Hughes attributes the team’s victories to harder offseason workouts and a weaker league.

“The loss to Stagg was a total fluke and we proved that by beating them by 13 the next day,” Hughes said. “That game just showed us that anyone can win at anytime and we shouldn’t take any game for granted. Next year I think we will end up completing the perfect season we almost had.”

Not only has the team had success as a whole, there have been standout individuals noticed and recruited by colleges. Senior Marcos Jimenez and junior Zack Mathis signed letters of intent to UOP while senior Justin Kottinger committed to Whittier College.

Kottinger was the team’s ace pitcher called on to win the critical second game of the McNair series and keep the Bruins in contention for the league title. In that game, the March athlete of the month only allowed two hits against the relatively potent Eagle offense.

“The game I had to pitch my best was on the day of senior night,” Kottinger said. “My emotions were running high but thankfully I had command of all my pitches. Unfortunately we lost the next day but I am still glad that we are heading to playoffs.”

Boys Golf
Boys golf, a team made up of mostly freshmen led by a first-year coach, underwent a transition year. Junior Ryan Cordova was the only returning player and the team looked to him for leadership.

Cordova says that he tried to motivate and inspire his teammates throughout the season, consistently posting the lowest score for the course. His leadership benefitted the team; the inexperienced golfers finished 5-3 behind Stagg for the league title.

“A lot of the team members, including myself, were very busy with school and other responsibilities,” Cordova said. “We didn’t get to practice as much as we would have liked, but next year at this time, my only priority will be golf.”

With more experienced players coming back, the Bruins hope to bring home the league title so they can advance as a team to the league championships.

Girls Soccer
Girls soccer completely flipped the table from last year’s season. Last year the team ended the season 0-1-9 and this year the team is 9-1-2 with a hold on second place in league. Tough losses to Franklin bumped the Bruins out of the top spot for league.

“Our cooperation really improved from last season,” junior Sarah Seybold said. “We also put more heart into our game and I think those improvements show in our record.”

Goalie Sabrina Searls says that the team put more passion into their play and brought more intensity to the games. In addition to strong teamwork and a collective style of play, senior Ireli Loyola had many impressive games this season including hat tricks against Chavez and Stagg.

Searls was a brick wall in the cage and as a result, has committed to play soccer for Notre Dame de Namur University in Belmont, Calif.

Although the team earned second place in league, they qualified to advance to San Joaquin Section Playoffs. On May 5, the 16th seeded Bruins played the first ranked Del Oro High School and lost 1-4.

Swimming
Both the boys and girls swim teams went a perfect 5-0 in SJAA dual meets and topped off their perfect seasons with a sweep at league meet.

Sophomore Jenna Collins is the girl’s team MVP, winning all of her varsity events and posting times that would propel her to a top 10 finish in the 100 yard Butterfly section. Besides Collins, seven other girls who qualified in relays advanced to sections.

Sophomore Danny Johns and juniors Mason Aguila and Jack Stensland have all qualified to swim in sections. Johns qualified in the 50 yard Freestyle and the 100 yard Butterfly, Aguila qualified to swim the 50 yard Freestyle and the 100 yard Freestyle and Stensland qualified for the 200 yard Individual Medley and the 100 yard Freestyle.

“My times haven’t reached my expectations yet,” Johns said. “I have until sections to get faster so I can place high. Next year I most definitely will be better.”

Senior leader Jay Halva quit due to frustrating losses against teammates and left senior Andre Green, Aguila and Stensland to lead the team.

Softball
Softball is currently 13-0 in the SJAA and completely rules over the competition. The Lady Bruins defeated the second place McNair 21-0.

“We played preseason games against harder opponents to make up for our easier league,” junior Allison Watkins said. “These games were to help us prepare for our playoff games and teach us the intensity at which we need to play in order to win.”

Like baseball, the team’s wins have resulted from double-digit numbers of hits per game. Senior Chasity Davis and sophomore Saige Pye had the hot bats on the team. Natalie Alvarez was the Lady Bruins’ ace on the mound. Pye had six home-runs on the season.

Boys Tennis
With a record of 4-6 in the SJAA, the tennis team did not have the year they expected; however, junior captain Rylan Ladion went undefeated individually and qualified to advance to the section tournament. Seniors Andre Albino and Sam Park advanced as partners to the section doubles tournament.

“If we want to have a better record next year, we are going to have to cut out all of our unforced errors,” Ladion said. “We also need to try our best to win our individual matches so that our team benefits from our points.”

Tennis is an individual sport, but the team’s success depends on all of the players’ contributions on the court.

With Albino and Park graduating, Ladion says he will be the main leader of the team. There is also news of a highly ranked state player who will be an incoming freshman for next year’s season. With the team’s individual talent, they expect to put more matches in the win column next year.

Track and Field
Track finished undefeated in league, although they have had meets that were determined by the results of the final race. It has come down to the wire against both Chavez and Franklin but the strong 4×400 relay run by seniors Tommy Thrush, Benjamin Reece, Sidney Thompson and Brice Weber pulled out the victory.

Individual victories in long jump, triple jump, shotput and discus by Craig Perkins helped BC sweep Stagg and take sole possession of first seed in SJAA.

Other standout performers include junior hurdler Rydell Donato, senior distance runner Erica Ramos, junior thrower Jacob Stewart and sprinter Jelia Montgomery, who signed a letter of intent to compete for San Jose State University next year. Attendance for the Franklin meet suffered because of the number of runners invited to compete in the Arcadia International.