Promposals demand creativity, extravagance

Graschelle Hipolito, News Editor

When people think “prom,” they idealize a magical night of dancing, gorgeous dresses, handsome tuxedos, and making memories that will be treasured long after high school. For many, however, having to devise a way to pop the question, or “prompose,” elicits pressure before the big night.

“Promposals” range from public and flashy to more personal and private, depending on the preference on the person asking or being asked.

Whether it be a clever phrase on a poster, including the other person’s interests or favorite things, or coordinating a decorated scene, promposals often require creativity, appeal, and thoughtfulness.

In February, junior Steve Roque planned a promposal during his talent show duet performance with junior Analisa Rillamas. Roque modified the last verse of the song, replacing the lyrics with, “Will you go to prom with me?” as he sang. A bouquet of flowers was brought out to a pleasantly surprised Rillamas, along with paper cut-outs of arrows with “Prom with” written on them to point at Roque. The crowd broke out in a delighted applause when she accepted.

“I felt like my promposal was different than most and more special to me,” Rillamas said. “I don’t think it could have been more perfect.”

With an audience of over 100 people, Roque says he felt pressured about the execution of his promposal.

“I felt totally pressured because it not only had to impress [Rillamas], but also her family, friends, and everyone who was watching the performance,” Roque said. “I’ve always planned on doing a promposal through a performance in front of a large audience though and the talent show was a perfect setting.”

People also tend to incorporate interests and favorites of the person being asked to add appeal and sentimental value to the promposal.

“I came up with the idea by the things my date said she likes,” senior DJ Ramirez said. “She likes Forrest Gump and Twix, so I decided to put a high school twist on it.”

Ramirez presented a poster with a quote alluding to the movie “Forrest Gump” that said, “High school is like a box of chocolates, you never know when you’re going to get asked to prom,” along with a box of Twix chocolates, to junior Martina Gapasin.

Ramirez, along with many others, utilized his personal talents in his promposal as well. Being the president of Bear Creek’s Altered Physics Magic Club, he accompanied the promposal with a magic trick that led up to Gapasin’s surprise.

Senior Andre Albino also showcased his dancing talents when he publicly promposed to junior Alexus Hoang in a choreographed piece.

“I’ve always dreamed of doing something big for a promposal, especially if it was for senior prom,” Albino said. “I always told myself I would do something spontaneous.”

While flashy, public promposals are exciting to witness, others favor popping the question in a more private setting.

Senior Michael Macedo says he feels that promposals should be more personal and sentimental. Macedo, with the help of a few friends, prepared a promposal at sunset, equipped with dangling candles and lanterns to illuminate the sign that spelled out “prom” in big, red letters, for senior Katie Quiruz.

“I wanted to make [the promposal] really nice and special, something that I know she would never forget,” Macedo said. “To me, when promposals become huge and flashy, the person basically feels obligated to say yes from all the public pressure and it loses more of its deeper, special meaning. Smaller and more sentimental is the way to go for me personally.”

With public promposals growing in popularity, some may feel added pressure to devise an original, elaborative way to ask their potential dates.

Other Stockton promposals have made news headlines for their extravagance. Keegan Flaherty, a senior attending St. Mary’s High School, used a live goat to ask senior Alyssa Black, “Will you goat to prom with me?”; his clever promposal was featured in “The Record.”

“I think some guys are pressured to think of new and different ways of promposing because a lot of people are getting used to seeing the use of posters all the time, and usually the promposals that are different seem to be more recognized and praised,” Rillamas said. “I also feel like some girls’ standards are starting to get higher than just a poster with a question.”

Whether promposals be public or private, more original or common, each share a common goal: to impress the other person for a fun-filled night at prom.