Sports Madness: 8/31

Natalia Gevara, Entertainment Editor

With a team of over 100 athletes, the Bear Creek Cross Country entered Grupe on August 25 with their anticipation high.

The day started with frosh-soph girl race, running two and a half times around the park, totaling approximately two miles. The group of girls set off after the whistle, starting off strong and then charging up the levee.

By the end of the first mile, Bear Creek sophomore Lisa Akai was leading the pack, finishing far ahead with a time of 15 minutes flat. In the top ten also include freshman Cassidy Byrne and sophomore Jillian Misa.

Next up was the frosh soph boys, running the same distance respectively. Sophomore Justin Alexander immediately caught first place, finishing with a time of 11 minutes and 29 seconds.  In second and third place was also sophomores Carter Bryant with a time of 12 minutes and 58 seconds, and Lewis Catapang with a time of 14 minutes and 8 seconds.

After deep stretching and reassuring pep talks, the Varsity girls were up next. Instead, they were to run three and a half times around the park, totaling a little over three miles.  

The whistle set off and off the girls went, pacing for the long distance ahead of them. The race was winding and intense, with places shifting among the athletes. With a time of 23 minutes and 40 seconds, senior Sarah Seybold was the first Bear Creek girl to come across the finish line,  finishing in fourth place.

The balmy sun was beating down on the park, but the day was to end with the Varsity boys race. The Bear Creek squad utilized their anticipation to push themselves throughout the race.  Mcnair’s Michael Aguilar lead the race for about a mile, until Bear Creek’s Adam Brooks slowly reeled him in. Brooks finished 38 seconds before Aguilar, with a time of 17 minutes and 55 seconds.

After Aguilar, Bear Creek’s Terrance Smith, Rydell Donato, and Rudy Bambico took third through fifth place respectively. Aidan Backus also finished within the top ten.

The Bear Creek cross country team is more than just large, but also many levels of talent in distance racing. The day ended with a win on Bear Creek’s behalf, setting the tone for the league meets just at bay.