Parents embrace texting to communicate with teens

Sophie Gilliland, Opinion Editor

“Dinner is ready! Come set the table.”

Most parents want teenagers to get off their phones and talk to them the good ol’ fashioned way, but some adults are deciding to embrace their kids’ form of communication.

Teenagers are accustomed to talking to their friends via text, so it’s only natural that most find it more convenient to text their parents than talk to them face-to-face.

“We text our parents when we need them,” sophomore Cristian Gonzales said.  “I don’t have to go downstairs to ask them for something.”

Texting also makes it easier for parents; instead of yelling that dinner is ready five times, they can simply send a text which most teenagers will notice immediately.

“We don’t have to yell to be heard,” parent Nancy Ma said.  “We can get simple, straightforward answers.”

Even though parents and their children don’t often have in-depth conversations over text, they are still able to communicate on a neutral level that might be less intimidating for the teenager.

“If I wanted to tell them I couldn’t go to a family party, I would tell them over text,” junior Patti Grimaldi said.

People have more control when expressing themselves via text, even if they don’t take advantage of it. When texting, people can edit what they say, which gives them courage to make bolder statements or talk about their true feelings.

“I asked my dad if I could drive to Sac over text because I’ve never driven there by myself,” Grimaldi said.

Sometimes kids text their parents when they are angry or if they feel uncomfortable saying something in person. Texting parents bad news can save teens from seeing a disappointed or angry look on their parent’s face. Other students say avoiding speaking to parents is unacceptable.

“I feel like it’s kind of disrespectful,” sophomore Gwendolyn Poole said.  Even though Poole doesn’t text her parents she is an avid user of emojis.  “[Emojis] show the people your actual emotions,” Poole said.

Teenagers can show their friends that they are joking by using certain emojis. Using five laughing symbols is more of a universal language than a few “lol”s or a simple “haha.”  To many, typing out a few distressed crying emojis is easier than explaining how upset they are in words.

However, some teenagers don’t use emojis as often as others.

“I use them sarcastically,” sophomore Serra Raquel said.

Parents also use emojis, but for different reasons than teenagers.  While texting, parents can send their kids a thumbs up or a smiley face to show that they are proud of them and spare them the awkwardness of telling them face-to-face.

Texting doesn’t have to be just a way to communicate with friends. Parents are slowly but surely discovering the wonders of this new age form of communication. In many families, texting an important factor in communication.