Emma’s Dilemma: Movies and Senior Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emma’s Dilemma: Movies and Senior Year

Emma Garcia, Online Editor-in-Chief

You know that feeling when you learn about something and then suddenly it’s everywhere? I’ve been having that feeling constantly the last several months. It seems like every movie and show I watch has something to do with someone’s senior year in high school. Frankly, it’s maddening.

I know what people are going to say: “you’re trying to put it out of your head so that’s why it’s showing up. Just embrace it.” Well this what I have to say to you people: I don’t have to embrace anything. Also, I don’t have time to embrace it. I only have time to survive it. So you can just calm down now.

Yes, I am noticing it more because I’m a senior. But that doesn’t mean it’s not there. Don’t believe me? Here’s a list of movies I’ve been watching since summer started:

• Grease
  • Pretty Little Liars
  • Papertowns
  • The Spectacular Now
  • Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl
  • Awkward.

Every single one has something to do with senior year. I don’t go searching for these things. But everytime I go to the movie theater or get something from Redbox, this sort of thing happens. And every time it makes me want to turn it off and watch anything and everything else, but I can’t. For one, most of them are really good quality. For another, Pretty Little Liars and Awkward. are just addicting.

I guess I will just have to settle for being stressed out because there’s no way I can give these movies up until June. Oh well.