Several seniors have officially committed to colleges

Ju Hee Park, Staff Writer

McKenzie Bacich and Abigail Aragon and baseball player Zack Mathis signed letters of intent after being recognized for their athleticism by different colleges.

Bacich knew from an early age that she wanted to pursue wrestling in college.

“All the schools I was looking at were because of wrestling,” Bacich said.

After her father contacted the school, Bacich was recruited to Campbellsville University in Kentucky.

“I won’t know what the scholarship is until I send in my transcript, but that’s only for the academic side,” Bacich said. “I basically have a set scholarship for the wrestling side.”

While Campbellsville offers her financial benefits, she is also satisfied with the college itself.

“It kind of felt more like home and everyone was nice,” Bacich said.

Aragon was recruited to Menlo College in Atherton, Calif.

“I was just looking up colleges and I put my information in,” Aragon said. “A day later the coach called me.”

“He watched me wrestle and offered me the scholarship,” Aragon said. “The team was super nice, and I hung out with the coach and everything seemed to fit really perfectly.”

Not only does Menlo College offer Aragon wrestling opportunities but also academic opportunities.

“I know I wanted to double major in business and psychology; it was kind of obvious that [Menlo] would be a good college for me,” Aragon said.

Aragon’s scholarship amount will vary depending on her future wrestling accomplishments.

“The college costs $62,000 after housing and I get about half scholarship, but depending on how I do in State and this year, it can go up to a full ride,” Aragon said.

Menlo Park is the only California college that offers women’s wrestling.

“That, and it had my majors and I love the location; it’s not too far from my family,” Aragon said.

Mathis was recruited as a shortstop to the University of the Pacific. Unlike most athletes, he was recruited in his sophomore year.

UOP’s head coach, Ed Sprague, contacted him and invited him to an unofficial visit to the school.

“The [UOP coach] invited me out to come hit in the cages at UOP,” Mathis said. “He was impressed.”

Mathis was not offered the scholarship that day; however, he got the scholarship after the coach watched one of his games.

“He personally came to watch,” Mathis said. “The next day, he offered me [the scholarship].”

Although UOP hired a new baseball coach, Mathis’ scholarship was still valid after the new coach recruited him again.

“I did a little workout in front of him [new coach],” Mathis said.

Similar to Bacich and Aragon, Mathis was satisfied with the school beyond the scholarship benefits.

“The school and the academics are really good there,” Mathis said.