Aeries app challenges study habits and allows hypothetical grade manipulation

Graschelle Hipolito, Editor-in-Chief

Many students wonder, “What score do I need on that next test to get the grade I want?” or “How much should I study?”  With the recently popularized Aeries app, students now hold the power to predict and hypothetically calculate future grades.

After downloading the app, students must identify their school district and sign in with their respective Aeries email and password.  One of the features of the app, “Grades for Parents and Students,” is that it offers the relief of knowing the exact test or assignment score necessary to achieve a particular overall class grade.

“I’m a fan of the app as it makes checking my grades easier and I love how we can add assignments and see how they affect our grades,” junior Jerice Banola said.  “It helps me set a goal for each test or assignment.”

For many, the Grades app holds much more convenience than the Aeries Portal itself — a clean and user-friendly interface, the student’s class schedule is presented at a glance, the ability to hypothetically adjust individual test or assignment scores to see the potential effect on overall percentage, and the option to be immediately notified once teachers input grades.

“The app really helps, especially in its mock grade feature, so we’d be able to see what we’d need to score on an assignment, test, or essay to get the final grade we want,” junior Sandra Sunio said.

In terms of studying habits, some students find that the app’s feature of adding mock assignments yields much less pressure, especially during finals week.

“During finals week, there was a lot of pressure to keep my grades up, so teachers would tell me how much my tests were worth and I was able to enter it in the app as a mock assignment and gauge how well I needed to do in order to do well in the class,” junior Jasmin Tran said.

Tran also said that the app adds awareness to how much a class assignment is worth and is useful in its quick access to grades.

However, some students have reported the app’s drawbacks.

“Being able to manipulate our grades can cause us to realize we can’t get the grade we want and force us to give up early, or realize we can get the grade we want even with a bad test score and live stress-free,” Banola said.  “It can make or break us.”

Ironically, students who have familiarized themselves with the app throughout the school year say it has not been completely accurate in its popular mock assignment feature.

“The grade calculator feature is not something students should depend on because it’s glitchy and may give students a sense of false hope on their grades,” junior Gian Baldonado said.

Baldonado said that the feature can calculate a different hypothetical score if the mechanics are not set correctly.

“[With the app] a student could choose to fail a few assignments or even a test because it would not greatly affect his or her grade in the class, leading the student to not pay attention during that time period,” Tran said.

It becomes a matter of the academic effort students are willing to exert and what they put their trust into — whether that be their own studying habits or the grade calculator on the Grades app — when it matters most.