Clubs on Campus: Vietnamese Club

Clubs on Campus: Vietnamese Club

Jessica Dang, Sports Editor

The Vietnamese Club delves into traditional dances and explores Vietnamese culture such as celebrating Lunar New Year’s and the Mid-Autumn Festival. Weekly practices consists of council members and officers, who have choreographed the dances themselves, teaching club members the dance numbers that will be performed at International Rally as well as outside programs in the Stockton community.

During these performances, females wear Vietnamese traditional dresses called ao dai and incorporate dance props such as conical hats, ribbons, and fans for dramatic effect; whereas, males wear a modern white button up shirt donned with a bow coordinating with the color of the ao dai and black pants. The lion dance and the Laughing Buddha engages the audience with its dramatic dance movements and actions accompanied by the beating of drums, cymbals, and gongs.

The club is currently run by president Ashley Hoang, vice president Minhsang Dinh, secretary Jessica Dang and treasurer Jasmine Irada. Mr. Nguyen is the advisor of the club and practices and meetings are held every Friday of the month. The club also has annual trips to Santa Cruz at the end of the school year to celebrate the club’s successes and help develop a closer bond amongst the club members.