Review: The Jungle Book

Sophie Gilliland, Opinion Editor

Everybody loves a classic, but with all the remakes and sequels being done it’s hard to appreciate a flash to the past. The Jungle Book was one of these remakes and I didn’t think it would be that good.

I hadn’t watched the cartoon Jungle Book since I was little (I think we still have it on VHS) but I liked the new version just as much as I liked the version from 1967. There were a few differences in the plot, but I thought it was actually really good. It was obviously more serious and suspenseful than the cartoon one, but they still managed to fit some of the “Bare Necessities” and “I Wanna Be Like You” which everyone in the movie theater enjoyed.

Mowgli was found by the black panther, Bagheera, in the jungle and taken to be raised by wolves, but the cruel tiger Shere Khan is introduced as a danger to both Mowgli and his adopted family. Bagheera encourages Mowgli to go live in the human village to avoid being attacked by Shere Khan, but they get separated and after an encounter with the python Kaa Mowgli meets Baloo. Baloo, being the definition of lazy, sort of tricks Mowgli to help him and then decides to keep Mowgli around so he doesn’t have to work.

Mowgli and Baloo become friends (Baloo teaches Mowgli what a song is), but soon their fun is put to an end when Bagheera finds them and Mowgli gets kidnapped by King Louie’s monkey minions. King Louie, a huge orangutan, sings a song at his palace to convince Mowgli to help him and teach him to make a fire, but he turns hostile when Bagheera and Baloo come to rescue Mowgli. King Louie reveals to Mowgli how Shere Khan is terrorizing the jungle and despite Bagheera and Baloo’s efforts Mowgli decides to confront Shere Khan once and for all.

The movie got suspenseful at some points and at other times it was lighthearted and fun. Mowgli, Baloo, and Bagheera are even more entertaining and interesting in live action. The animals looked more realistic than I expected and the movie was filled with stars like Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson, and Lupita Nyong’o. This movie was one successful remake and I would encourage you to see it, especially if you were a fan of the original movie.

About the Writer
Sophie Gilliland, Online Editor-in-Chief

Even though I started out as a simple opinion editor at the Bruin Voice in my sophomore year, I have now reached my junior year and the almighty positions...