Sports Madness: BC Track

Natalia Gevara, Entertainment Editor

After a duel meet against Edison on April 21st, the Bear Creek Track and Field team is now currently 3-0 for the regular season, bringing them one step closer towards being undefeated in all divisions for a second year.

Bear Creek anticipated a tough battle coming into meet, especially for the varsity girls. Edison boasts some of the fastest varsity girl sprinters in the league, with their 4×400 and 4×200 teams qualifying for the prestigious Arcadia Invitational earlier in the month.

However, Bear Creek varsity girls proved to be unshakeable. The lady bruins defeated Edison with a score of 97-20.

Some standouts include freshman Jailah Brice-Moore, who took first in the varsity level 100 meters and 300 meter hurdles. Sophomore Maya Price also took third in the varsity 100 meters and second in 200 meters. Sophomore Lisa Akai took first in the varsity 1600m and 800m, with times of 5:55 and 2:43 respectively.

The frosh-soph girls division was a close call as the meet was nearing a close. However, after sweeping the 300m hurdles, 1600m, and various field events, Bear Creek proved victorious with a score of 63-49. Freshman Melissa Bustos was one stand out, scoring first place in her 1600m with a time of 6:20, with Edison’s Vivianna Gardea just a single second behind her.

Bear Creek’s varsity boys swept, with an ending score of 96-21.  Bear Creek’s Roman Plascensia, Nick Kiel, and Matthew Hodge took first through third in the 100m dash, scoring 9 points in all. The 1600m was led by Adam Brooks, Justin Alexander, and Rudy Bambico, all finishing under the five minute mark.

The frosh-soph boys reigned victorious with a score of 80-46.  Chaz Davis, Ryley Donato, and Jonathan Peyton took first through third in the 100 meters. Freshman Jafari Binder led the 800m with a time of 2:23, with Edison’s Jonathan Miramontes just behind him, and bruin Christian Tafoya finishing in third.

The Bruins kept their guard high at the beginning of the duel meet, but they remain undefeated in all divisions for the SJAA regular season.