Election tie decided by essay

Fry wins junior class president

Sophie Gilliland, Entertainment Editor

With all the talk of the contested election between both the Republican and Democratic candidates, Bear Creek had its own version: two candidates running for junior class president tied. Typical of a contested election, the loser wasn’t happy.

This year, the revisions in the ASB constitution changed the number of points for each part of the election process and made each aspect worth 25 points: applications, interviews, essays, and student votes.

Sophomores Cristian Gonzalez and Kyle Fry each received 75 points. Fry received fewer points for the popular vote, which he lost. Both Fry and Gonzalez lost points in the other aspects of the election, but they both ended with 75 points. The tie caused some students to wonder whether or not the new process is fair.

“We determined that the best way to break the tie would be to have them plan out what their agenda is for the following year,” LaRue said.

The current junior assembly and president, next year’s junior assembly, one ASB member, and the junior class advisor were brought together to look at these plans, written in essay format, with the names removed so they wouldn’t know whose plan they were looking at. They discussed which plan seemed more suited for the class and Fry was determined the winner.

“[Fry’s] was more about being a president and having a united campus instead of just kind of having events planned and Cristian’s plan was about a lot of specifics,” future junior assembly member Julian Bernado said.

The two candidates disagree over whether or not the tie and the tiebreaker were fair.

“It was probably the best way to go with the essay because it just goes to show what you’re gonna do and how you’d be the better president,” Fry said, referring to himself.

“I feel like the votes should have spoken a little bit more to persuade Ms. LaRue to think that people are wanting him as their leader,” Gonzalez said, also referring to himself.

Some students agree with Gonzalez in wishing that their votes had more significance in the election and feeling like the result wasn’t a representation of what the class of 2018 wants. The prior constitution stipulated that the popular vote counted for 40 percent of the total instead of the current 25 percent.

“Our votes count little to the actual election,” sophomore Kaylanie Saldua said. “It’s like our voice doesn’t have a say at all.”

Many students made their voice heard on social media, saying how unhappy they were with the new election process and the result of the tiebreaker.

“I think that Cristian is a very popular kid and Kyle is maybe not known as well,” LaRue said. “So I think the kids are more apt to support the kid that they see as being the most popular.”

Students voiced their opinions on Twitter and others responded, bringing current upperclassmen and people from student government into the debate. Some sophomores tweeted what seemed to be insults to Fry and supported Gonzalez, but some defended Fry and criticized the people who were angry with the result.

“I said a tweet on Twitter about Kyle being a ‘mini Donald Trump’ but the thing is that is who Kyle says he is,” Saldua said. “He supports Trump and there wasn’t any insult mentioned in there.”

“I don’t necessarily think that’s a negative thing,” Fry said in response to Saldua’s tweet. “But I think she did mean it in a negative way which isn’t how Donald Trump should be perceived.”

Despite many sophomores being initially disappointed with the election, most say they are willing to give Fry a chance as junior president and accept that the new process for elections determined him to be the best candidate.

“We made amends with Kyle and we will try to see what his plans are for junior year,” Saldua said.

Next year’s student government plans to eliminate the possibility of another tie in elections by making changes to the constitution or making a plan for ties at the beginning of the next school year.