BC students and staff send support to recovering VP

Katelyn Biddle, Staff Writer

When hard times strike, the best medicine sometimes can be the support of friends and family, and the BCHS family is no different.

Since mid-January, Vice Principal Sera Baysinger has been on medical leave while she undergoes treatment for cancer. She is currently in recovery, resting and recuperating after surgery. Throughout her treatment and recovery, Bear Creek students and staff have shown their love and support in many ways: cards, baskets, jokes, even art projects and ceramics from BC ceramic classes.

“Every day since January 15th, someone from Bear Creek has checked up on me,” Baysinger said. “It’s been unbelievable; it’s really opened my eyes to the true meaning of the Bear Creek Community.”

Many students and staff wanted to help fill the free time during her recovery. Baysinger enjoys doing the unique puzzles sent from the departments and is saving them to display. The staff also purchased a Netflix account, which Baysinger watches every night before bed, mainly the stand-up comedy options to help keep up her spirits.

In addition, Link Crew compiled a get-well basket with blankets, tea, Chapstick, and other goodies; Baysinger said that her favorite part was the mixed CDs made by students that were included. She listened to them while being driven to treatments.

Baysinger is also appreciative of receiving a yearbook.

“It’s unbelievable to look at the pictures and see the students’ lives — it’s the next best thing to being there,” Baysinger said.

Baysinger will return to BC as Vice Principal at the start of the next school year. The marquee in front of the school parking lot sums up both student and staff sentiment: “We love you, Ms. Baysinger!”