Spring Sports Wrap-Up

Sophie Gilliland and Darius Livingston

Softball
The softball team won all 16 of its league games and went undefeated. This success earned them first place in league and sent the team to playoffs.

“Communication’s been difficult throughout the season,” junior Jordyn Miller said. “When we’re on the field, it’s kind of hard to pick out what we’re supposed to do.”

The team played the River City Raiders in play-offs and lost 12-0, eliminating them from further games.

“[Next year] will definitely be different because we’re losing a pitcher that we really needed,” Miller said.

Women’s Soccer
The women’s soccer team won eight of their 10 games with their only two losses to McNair.

“The first McNair game caught us off guard because we had easily beaten everyone else,” sophomore Vanessa Moraes said. “I think we got cocky and overconfident sometimes, but only a little.”

The team earned second place in the league and went on to playoffs in Rocklin at Whitney High School, but they lost 3-0 and were eliminated.

Freshman Sara Ruiz was named for all-league best midfielder, freshman Alexis Brewah all-league best midfielder and freshman Elizabeth Gonzalez all-league best forward. Senior Sabrina Searles was named all-league best goalkeeper.

Badminton
Girls badminton went 9-1 for the season and boys badminton was 0-10. The boys team had all new players because in the 2014-2015 season, their whole varsity team was made up of seniors.

“I think the girls team will have to practice harder next year to keep our rank,” sophomore Angela Lu said. “Three seniors are leaving varsity so I think we can do it.”

Junior Jasmin Tran won first place for singles in the league. Sophomores Angela Lu and Natalie Vang got fourth place for doubles in the league. All three went to sections and Tran got first and the girls team got second in sectionals.

Track and Field
The track and field team went undefeated in league this year, earning first in league.

The varsity girls team was mainly made up of sophomores and freshmen, but that didn’t stop them from being successful. This was Jason Johnson’s last year as distance and head coach.

“[Next year] we all have to put in work,” sophomore Helen Le said. “Others will have to step up to fill in [the seniors’] shoes.”

Over 20 athletes advanced to sections and seniors Rydell Donato and Nick Kiel went to masters with the possibility of going to the state track meet. Freshman Jailah Brice-Moore and sophomore Maya Price also went on to masters.

Swim
After capping off last season with an undefeated record, this season the team repeated that impressive performance, putting up another league banner in the gym.

Senior swim captain Jack Stensland credits the team’s dominance not only to hard work but to recent league change as well.

“There is no one in our league that matches us in numbers,” Stensland said. “The ratio of our program to our opponents program is like 30:5.”

For the men, swimmers Mason Aguila, Austin Evans, Jack Stensland and Daniel Johns qualified for sections for the 200M medley relay where they placed 3rd in consolation and 11th overall.

For the 400M freestyle relay, Dalin Nelson,  Aguila, Stensland, and Johns represented Bear Creek. The boys placed 4th in consolation and 12th overall.

Stensland, Aguila, Johns, and Cade Campigli all competed for individual swim events.

For the ladies, Anna Knezovich, Jenna Collins, Megan Kirwan and Sidney Moreno qualified for the 200M medley relay, where the ladies set a Bear Creek swimming record of 2:00.17, but fell short of qualifying for masters.

Riley Richmond, Moreno, and Collins participated in individual events, but none qualified for section finals.

Tennis
Under new head tennis coach Gayle Litz, the tennis program improved to 6-4 compared to a 4-6 record last year.

Even with the improvement, the boys fell to third place in league for the second year in a row.

Although the season fell below some expectations, the whole tennis team enjoyed their season under Litz.

“I like Coach Litz a lot,” senior Victor Lu said. “She pushes us to do our best and is there to support us both mentally and physically. Bear Creek is lucky to have her.”

Although falling to third place, the whole team made sections. After a disappointing first round knockout as a team, freshman Logan Sam and senior Rylan Ladion, the top two players in the SJAA, continued their season by competing at a section tournament this year in Sacramento, where they both fell short of surpassing the first round of singles.

Golf
Bear Creek golf has surpassed school records this year. For the first time in history, the golf team had an undefeated league season, ending with a record of 15-0.

“I’m overall happy with the way the season went,” sophomore Jacob Sory said. “Going undefeated and bringing home Bear Creek’s first golf title felt real good.”

The swim team is not the only sport that feels some of their success was assisted by the league change that occurred in 2013.

“Bear Creek is good for our league,” senior Ryan Cordova said. “If we were in TCAL we would place third or fourth.”

After going undefeated, the entire golf team qualified for sections, but no individuals qualified to move onto the next round.

Baseball
With former St. Mary’s baseball head coach Peter Pijl coming to Bear Creek, the Bruins have become a force to reckoned with throughout the county.

Last year, the varsity baseball team had a record of 12-3 going into playoffs. During the first round of playoffs the Bruins lost to Turlock High School, a team that has not missed the playoffs in five years.

This year, the Bruins capped off an undefeated season in league going 12-0, recently defeating rival McNair High School in the last game of the regular season 5-4.

Many players credit the team’s success to Pijl’s emphasis on the little things.

“We’ve been able to hit the ball well, throw strikes and get outs,” junior Jacob Standridge said. “These are the things that win us games.”

Led by senior Zachary Mathis, who committed to the University of the Pacific, the Bruins won the first two rounds of playoffs, beating Lodi and Lincoln high schools.

Despite the early success in the beginning of playoffs, the Bruins suffered back to back playoff losses to St. Mary’s and Beyer by a total of 5 runs.

The Bruins still view the season as a success, as they won their first SJAA title and CIF playoff game in 15 years.