Existential Rant

David Hancock, Staff Writer

My dear readers,

Holy crap Hamlet got me messed up. We’re only in Act 2 and already my mind has been blown like a billion times and I’ve probably said “#relatable” or “retweet” about a billion and one times. Hamlet is already trippy enough on its own, as Hamlet questions literally everything about life which leads the readers to question their own lives, but then Mrs. Farrar has to go and give a mind-boggling lesson about existentialism and I am officially dead inside.
So if you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m a little bit more on the emotional side. In public I can usually keep a lid on it, except for the time I cried in English class sophomore year (“Lord of the Flies” man, it’ll mess you up). And sometimes during movies or plays. Okay, I cry a lot, but that’s just me so don’t judge. Basically, I’m a very sensitive person; it hurts me when others are in pain — physically or emotionally. I had to opt out of watching a 9/11 video in Law and Order (an awesome class by the way, 10/10 would recommend) because I kept thinking about those people and what if it was me or someone I cared about and aaaghhhhghhh!
I think that’s the secret to my acting success. I have the gift/curse of really feeling what others feel. When I was in Our Town I had a lead role, which was awesome; but in that role my wife died, which was not awesome. I acted it well (even got to cry onstage), but it always took me a while to calm myself down and convince myself that my wife didn’t actually die and I’m just pretending. The applause helped (but I don’t really act for the audience, I act for the story and for the character), but by the end, it got so bad that I broke down backstage during a rehearsal and I had to thank my lucky stars that we were double casted in that play. Ironic, considering I talked so much crap on the double casting decision (which I still think is dumb), even though it saved me from losing my wife three more times.
Getting back to existentialism: existentialism is the philosophical idea that things are what you believe they are. Mrs. Farrar insisted that this aspect of Hamlet’s character was what made him so relatable to us in the 21st century, as we are conditioned to believe in existentialism. We believe that we have control over our own life, we believe that our thoughts and mindset can guide our lives (either to prosperity or to ruin), we believe that people can believe whatever is true to them, and so on.
Now, I get all these existential ideas, which is why I was so confused when I got that panic feeling in my gut while my classmates heard the same lesson I was hearing and remained indifferent. Why? Were they just not paying attention? Are they panicking on the inside too? Or worse, is it my problem? Am I different? WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR ME, AND ONLY ME, TO HANDLE?!?!?!?
I’m sorry if this offends you guys, but I believe in truth. One truth. How can people just accept the fact that everyone is right just boggles me. It just can’t be! Now, I’m not saying that I’m right in all my beliefs and you’re wrong about everything, but someone has to be right and someone has to be wrong! If I believe in God and you don’t, then one of us is wrong! I don’t know who, but someone is!!! We can (and should) all still live in harmony and accept people for whatever they believe in, but someone is wrong! We don’t have to fight or war over it, that’ll solve nothing and convince no one, but we all can’t just say everyone’s right anymore.
Just accept it world, we disagree on almost anything. Let me say again, we can all still be friends and live together in peace, I want that so much for the world. I mean come one, it’s me, Mr. Sensitive. But I cannot just say that your ideas are right when they contradict mine! Maybe it’s pride, maybe it’s arrogance, maybe it’s logic; I don’t know, but we can’t all be right. To say that the opposing side is right for me is to say that I am wrong; and I’m way to stubborn, arrogant, prideful, and narcissistic to ever admit being wrong when I know I’m right. (Hey at least I’m honest about who I am)
Unless you actually get existentialism, then everyone can be right.
From,
a very confused David Hancock