Two unlikeable candidates

Marino Dominguez, Staff Writer

In this past election year the two hopefuls for presidency, Republican Donald Trump and Democrat Hillary Clinton, have been clawing at each other during the primaries and on social media. But in the next two and a half months the American people will have their votes tallied as they nominate the next president of the United States.
Even though most students are too young to vote in this election, that doesn’t stop them for having opinions about who should lead the United States — but not everyone is thrilled with the two candidates. For some students, the options are limited.
“This country must be out of candidates this year if these are the people we have to choose from,” junior Alyssa Erickson said.
According to a “USA Today” poll, 50 percent of millennials would vote for Hillary Clinton, compared to Trump’s 18 percent, a “yuge” drop in that vote for Trump.
One area of criticism from students is the fact that the candidates are attacking each other more than taking into consideration the country’s national debt, immigration laws and economy, especially job growth.
“The candidates, instead of focusing on political or economic issues in America, they’re focusing more on attacking each other,” junior Jordan Harris said. This accusation is frequently hurled at Trump, who some say has run a campaign based on attacks rather than substance.
The two candidates will face each other for the first time in a debate scheduled for September 26. For some Trump supporters, the best thing he has going for him is that he is not Hillary Clinton.
“She’s lied, she’s a hypocrite, she’s flip-flopped over many of her policies, [and] she’s said things that are also racist but everybody just overlooks them,” sophomore Taylor Pittman said. Clinton continues to be dogged by issues about her private email server; the Justice Department has said it will release nearly 15,000 emails before the November election.
As for Trump, his tax returns have haunted him since early this year, and voters are eager to see them. Many believe Trump has been using multiple loopholes to avoid large taxes, a fact that Trump has bragged about, saying the broken system encourages tax dodging. He has yet to release those documents.
Although Clinton made history when she became the first female presidential nominee, Pittman isn’t persuaded.
“I don’t like the fact that people are just voting for her because she’s a woman,” Pittman said.
Others see her political experience as her best qualification.
“She’s experienced, and she has a husband who knows a thing or two about being president,” Sims said.
Political experience is something Trump lacks, having never held any office — but for those tired of Washington politicians as usual, this fact could be in his favor. When Hillary Clinton was prompted with the question, “Would you rather be running against someone boring like Mitt Romney,” on Jimmy Kimmel Live! she said, “I would prefer to be running against somebody I thought was qualified to be president and temperamentally fit to be Commander-in-Chief.”
But there is one fact that all students agree on: this election will change this nation, no matter who becomes president.