Serra’s Side of the Story: Same sex relationships break sexual norms on TV

Serra Raquel, Entertainment Editor

Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network are two of the top networks for children’s television programs. Recently, these networks have been making advances towards having queer representation in their cartoons.
“The Legend of Korra” was a popular spin-off from the Nickelodeon show “Avatar: The Last Airbender.” In the last episode of “The Legend of Korra” series, a romantic relationship between two female characters, Korra and Asami, is subtly shown as the two hold hands.
Children who watch the series are likely to admire Korra since she is the hero and main character of the series. Having a non-heterosexual character that children tend to look up to could help them have a more open mindset regarding different sexual orientations.
“[Same sex couples] are all over the world, so it’s important to expose kids to it,” junior Rianna Garza-Aguire said. “Love is love and no one should judge or take that away.”
“The Loud House” is a cartoon also airing on Nickelodeon that features a young boy named Lincoln Loud living in a family with 10 sisters. The show exposes children to same-sex parents when Lincoln’s best friend, Clyde McBride, introduces his two dads in the episode “Overnight Success.”
Cartoon Network has also included queer visibility in cartoons. In a popular cartoon network show, “Clarence,” a young character named Jeff has two moms. They were introduced in the episode, “Jeff Wins.”
Allowing kids to witness two moms or two dads standardizes a concept that they could experience in their own lives. Encountering a person that identifies as LGBTQ+ is ordinary and allowing kids to start early on comprehending this idea could prevent discrimination in a rising generation.
Some parents are concerned that showing same sex couples in cartoons might cause their children to question their own sexuality, but the majority of television shows depict heterosexual couples, and there are still people that are not hetersexual who watch television and have not turned straight. Having unorthodox representation in cartoons could provide a form of comfort for children who are not heterosexual, since these characters could influence a nondiscriminatory mindset in the viewers.
“All children shows have always had only heterosexual characters and couples, at least the ones I’ve seen,” senior Dalin Nelson said. “It’s refreshing to know that children’s TV shows are including LGBTQ characters because that’s our new reality and it proves that society is moving in the right direction.”
Portraying strong same-sex relationships helps work towards breaking the heteronormativity in television.
“Love can be provided by any sexuality and still be exactly the same. Children should be able to know that it’s okay to love who they please,” sophomore Amanda Perez said.
Exposing children to same-sex couples helps them understand that there are a variety of different relationships and forms of love.