Tran carries on badminton dynasty

Emma Snyder, Staff Writer

Thirty years ago Hue Tran, then a senior at Lincoln High School, won her section title in badminton. Earlier this year, she watched her daughter, then-junior Jasmin Tran, earn her second section title in badminton and qualify for state. Now a senior, Jasmin Tran has her sights set on a third section title.
Not only is Hue Tran a proud parent, she is also Jasmin’s badminton coach.
“Jasmin has exceeded all my expectations and more,” Hue Tran said. “She did more than I ever did in high school. I had never planned for her to be this good at badminton.”
Tran is not only a SJAA all-league champion, she is also a top honor student involved in numerous clubs.
As ASB Commissioner of Sports, she is responsible for promoting and supporting athletic activities on campus, including Powder Puff. She is also involved in Red Cross, Vietnamese Club, and Science Olympiad.
Tran says she balances her crazy schedule with discipline, determination and hard work.
“Time management is a huge role,” Tran said. “I come home, do as much homework as I can before practice, go to practice, then make sure I finish all homework and study for each class.”
In addition to being a role model in academics and motivating people to do their best in school, Tran also motivates her teammates.
“Jasmin is a natural leader,” former teammate Ashley Hoang said. “Her desire to only accept the best has shaped the team to be more motivated and do their best.”
Although Tran would like to continue her badminton career in college, few of her top choices offcer programs.
“I would like to play badminton in college but since it isn’t recognized as a sport in most colleges, especially the colleges I have in mind, the chances are slim of me being a collegiate athlete,” Tran said.
Now in her senior year, Tran hopes to make it into the final round at state. “My goal for this coming spring season is to make it further in state,” Tran said. Just like her own parents, Tran plans to carry on the tradition and culture of badminton in her family.
“I want my future kids to have the same experiences with not only badminton, but life in general,” Tran said. “I want them to achieve great things.”
Hue Tran might just have started a badminton dynasty.