School Survival Guide to: After School Activities

Giancarlo Lizarraga, Staff Writer

As teenagers race out the gates of Bear Creek High School, there are some who stay behind long after the final bell has rung.

On most weekdays here at the Creek, there are various sports, clubs, and programs available to any student. Kids here are infamous for dividing their time among extracurricular activities of all kinds.

Personal interests play a large role in why someone might associate themselves with a certain group. Yet, there are other motivations that some may find overly ambitious.

Nowadays there is a desire to be a well-rounded student by participating in events and organizations that give back to the community and get you involved in local affairs. This was prompted by college officials who have complained about the lack of street smarts from incoming freshmen.

Although not entirely a bad thing, this push to get students into as many extracurriculars as possibly is largely responsible for the flaky nature of members within the Bear Creek’s clubs.

A dance teacher of mine once told me that it was better to focus your full attention towards one commitment and do it well than spread out your efforts and end up performing mediocre in multiple tasks.

I took his words to heart during my sophomore year by having my only afterschool activities be Glee club and the theater productions. For this year, I decided theater took too much of my time and pivoted towards the Glee club, Comedy Sportz and the Shakespeare club.

Having my priorities narrowed allowed me to bring my “A-game” to the groups I’ve decided to join. This way, I can maintain my sanity while feeling accomplished and fulfilled.

I do feel as if I’m missing out on clubs like Red Cross, Pets and Pals, and the National Honors Society that do volunteer work for the community. Many of my fellow peers are members of these clubs, making me feel unworthy of their presence.

Still, there is the same lack of commitment for these groups that is found in many others.

The cultural clubs at our school can be some of the worst offenders for failing attendance, but with so many members in each the probability of everyone being able to make every meeting is miniscule.

Being an officer in the Glee club has shown me how different it is to be in a smaller club where everyone becomes so tightly knit together. For our group, commitment is important and necessary since there aren’t a lot of us.

My advice is to put your best foot forward, but remember that you only have two.