Spooky Scary Skeletons

Helen Le, Sports Editor

Happy 31st of October!

Halloween falling on a Monday is pretty tragic. Some students still receive homework and others just don’t have the chance to go out on a school night. If 2016 wasn’t a leap year, I’m pretty sure Halloween would’ve been yesterday — on a Sunday.

Personally, though, I haven’t really bought into the Halloween spirit this year. I’m already planning for Thanksgiving break and singing Christmas songs and planning presents. I’m not even trick-or-treating today, but at least I’ll have a bucket of candy to pass out (and eat later). My ten-year-old brother rejected the offer of a costume from my mom, which disappointed me. (I wasn’t even offered. I think they think I’m too old already… which I’m not, by the way. You can never be too old for Halloween.)

My mom’s greatest fear for this specific year is clowns. She’s afraid of the killer clowns lurking in the streets, so she really doesn’t want us out at all. When I asked her what she would do if a clown showed up at our door, she didn’t give me a straight answer.

The scariest upcoming thing is probably the election, though. In two weeks, we’ll be electing a new President who might as well be a clown… Maybe my mom’s fear is warranted after all.

But I won’t go into politics on Halloween. Instead, I’d like to give a shout-out to all of my teachers who handed out candy/chocolate and themed their classrooms, as well as everyone who dressed up. Thanks for keeping the holiday cheer.

Claire said “holiday cheer” sounded like Christmas, but Halloween is a holiday. (“But Christmas is the holiday,” Claire replied.) Anyway, stay cheery.

You know what’s strange, though? This whole tradition of dressing up and going to people’s houses to ask for treats. What if your neighbors actually tricked you? If this holiday was introduced today, I don’t know if anybody would do it. But that’s the point, isn’t it?

Halloween also symbolizes the beginning of the end. After today, it’s November. Then it’s two more months of fun and games (and college applications) until 2017. Seniors will graduate, juniors will become seniors and inherit their stress, sophomores will become upperclassmen, and incoming freshmen will… be freshmen.

Maybe a truly scary costume is a FAFSA application.

It’s also finally starting to rain. I don’t like being in the rain, but I do like this weather. Playing some tunes in the car while watching the rain wash over you is relaxing. Reading a book, drinking hot chocolate, watching movies, snuggling… yeah, I’m more into winter than Halloween, if you can’t tell. (“Fall is just kind of ‘meh’, you know…” Claire agrees.)

This weekend also yielded awesome results for sports teams, including football and online games like CS:GO and League of Legends. Supporting a team no matter what is pretty rewarding, especially when they win.

Until next time,
Lofi