School Survival Guide: Extracurriculars

Sophie Gilliland, Online Editor-in-Chief

I almost died my sophomore year. That may seem like an exaggeration, but I kid you not. I had bad asthma for a few weeks and I overdosed on my inhaler — sucks to my ass-mar — and that could have caused my to have a heart attack.

On top of that I had shin splints and I tore my retina. Tearing your retina sucks, guys. Avoid tearing your retina at all costs. I had constant headaches, I had to go to the eye doctor almost every week, I saw floaters and a big blurry spot, and I couldn’t do the one thing that caused all of this: soccer.

I felt really pressured to play soccer, even though I had played it year round and was starting to hate it. I want to go to college and I thought that playing soccer might help me get into a good one; instead it ruined my soccer-enthusiasm.

I had an asthma attack almost every game — which isn’t actually that unusual for me — I was worried about my classes, and I was in pain because of my apparently weak legs. I was one of the captains of the JV team and I felt bad that I didn’t want to play soccer or even support the team after my soccer-ball-to-the-eye incident.

I was worried about my team and my coach being mad at me for feeling this way and about my parents being disappointed for some reason. My parents told me I should still go to practices, but I wanted to use the time on homework and relaxing instead of watching a practice. I was also worried about possibly having to go to tutoring with my math teacher that I didn’t think would help. I got super stressed out and woke up in the middle of the night one time hardly able to breathe.

My advice in this school survival guide might go against things other people have told you, but it’s coming from someone who was close to not surviving school: don’t do any extracurriculars you don’t want to do.

If you want to get into college and you think you need to play a sport to do that, okay, but choose a sport wisely. You shouldn’t dread every practice and wish for the season to end. If that’s the way you feel, you should quit. It’s okay to not be able to do everything and quitting isn’t the end of the world.

Don’t overwhelm yourself trying to be everything a college wants because you’ll get in somewhere. My advise is to do sports and clubs because you want to.