School Survival Guide to: Choices

Giancarlo Lizarraga, Staff Writer

On a Friday weeks ago, I took an opportunity that would have me present myself in front of hundreds of Bear Creek students.

A sense of urgency brought me to Mrs. LaRue’s classroom after school to audition for singing the National Anthem at the Powderpuff game and rally. This being my second to last year in high school, I was compelled to voluntarily participate in outgoing activities such as this one.

The following Monday I received a purple envelope with a note inside that detailed, to my astonishment, that I had been chosen to perform our nation’s beloved song.

Another similar event occurred when I was informed about my nomination for the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards camp along with a few of my classmates. Yet again, I took a leap of faith and went forward with the interview that was scheduled for me.

With the many high-achieving students that were also nominated for the program, I found it unlikely that I could stand out in this particular crowd. Not to my surprise, I turned out not to be one of the chosen participants.

So, for the audition I did win there was an interview I lost. Even though I didn’t succeed with the larger prospect, I was not deeply saddened.

To be honest, I wasn’t all that enthusiastic about the RYLA camp, and for a while I didn’t understand why. Now that I’ve taken some time to compare these two results I’ve realized why I felt so much better about the singing performance.

That letter I received for RYLA was made for me; I had no choice in whether I was to be nominated or not.

Sure I could have asked not to be in the event, but teachers and counselors had already nominated me for the program. It seemed rude not to at least take the chance.

Yet with the National Anthem auditions, I took the initiative in going to D1 after school. I knew my strength was in singing, so I played my cards in a way I found best suited for me.

Probably the best decision I could have made was to not even try for the interview. RYLA was meant for leaders (I mean it has “leadership” in its name), but I not that driven of a person to lead anyone besides myself.
For my own sanity, I hope to be more aware of these seemingly innocent social traps so I can live a life that’s not dictated by others.

Wonderfully, this philosophy isn’t just applicable to auditions, it can also be said for choosing classes, colleges, or activities outside of school. The only restriction I would suggest, would be to comply with the law.