New York

David Hancock, Staff Writer

Dear readers,

New York, New York, New York!

So this past weekend I was in New York for a scholarship presentation for the college I’m planning on going to, but also to have fun. Basically, New York is freakin awesome!

Yes, by New York I mean New York City. And yes, there are other cities in New York, but to be honest New York City is the only one that matters. Sorry if you’re living in Albany or whatever and you just got triggered, but stop kidding yourself, New York City is the greatest city in the world and it just overshadows your whole state, so get over it.

Not only is New York the greatest city in New York, I think it’s the greatest city in the world. It’s a glorious mix of every culture in the world and every the center of the world’s greatest ideas competing for recognition in a city that’s equally old and new and everywhere you look is some beautiful and interesting sight to see. New York is the center of the media, of English literature, of art, of philosophy, of business, of all of western culture.

The college I am hoping to go to in New York is The King’s College. No, not the one that Alexander Hamilton went to, that is present-day Colombia University. The King’s College is a small, private, Christian, liberal arts college of about 650 students and located smack dab in the middle of the financial district in Manhattan. For those who aren’t familiar with the geography of the city: it’s literally a block from the New York Stock Exchange on Wall Street and down the street from Federal Hall where George Washington was first sworn in as president of the united states and a few blocks from there is Trinity Church where many of America’s founders are buried, including Alexander Hamilton. Also, the actual address of the college is 56 Broadway, so yeah, it’s on Broadway.

That’s just a small example of the amazing history that is infused in every single inch of New York City. Every street, every block, every building has a story to it. New York is the world’s greatest mystery, so full of secrets and stories that no one could know it all even if they had a million years to try because in a million years trillions of more stories are thrown into the melting pot.

The sheer size of New York, both physically and culturally, is equal parts amazing and terrifying. You are in awe of what has been made and what’s been done, of all the lives that have made an impact on the city, but at the same time you realize just how little you are.

When I was there my friend in the city took me to this really old hipster bookstore. It was filled to the ceiling of books ― on shelves, in stacks, on tables ― and had all books of different kinds haphazardly organized in a very neat mess of seas of knowledge. They had a whole section of classics from every era imaginable, a whole section of works of fiction that must’ve had countless new and amazing worlds and stories and characters, and a whole section of the newests hits on the block.

Seeing all these books amazed, and terrified me. I realized that even the greatest writers of history like Plato, Aristotle, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and so many more are just a drop in the ocean of literature. Then I realized that everything in life was like that! You can be an amazing architect and build an amazing building, but one day that building will fall and you will be forgotten in the rubble. You can be a poet and bring tears to the eyes of millions, but eventually all those tears dry. You can be the funniest talk show host ever, but one day the laughter will stop.

Super bleak, right? You could see it like that, sure; but strangely enough, knowing that I’m just a drop in an endless ocean gives me a sense of security. Knowing that the world will go on with or without me bring me peace. To know that even the greatest legacies die assures me that what I do now won’t matter eventually. So I don’t need to worry about making a ton of money or changing the world, I just have to do what I can do and love who I can love. Even the world will become dust one day, so I just have to be me while I can.

Sorry if I freaked you out,
David Hancock