First Creek Con deemed a ‘huge success’

Review

Gabriella Backus, Artistic Editor

For years, Bear Creek’s finest nerds have been lying in wait for the chance at a gathering, a place to meet and swap ideas and relish in their nerdiness. Finally, the wait is over: BC launched its first annual Creek Con, and all the school’s nerds breathed a sigh of relief. Complete with a snack bar, 20 vendors, a costume contest, and a gaming room, Creek Con was a huge success.

Christa McAuliffe eighth grader Daniel Garcia originally proposed the event to the Bear Creek Foundation last year, in hopes of creating a convention like those he had previously attended.

“I went to StocktonCon, and after that I wanted to do my own,” Garcia said. Since I’m going to Bear Creek next year, I decided to make Creek Con. My mom is the president of the foundation, and me and my mom presented it. It took a little while, but they finally accepted it.”

Daniel and his mother, Foundation President Anne Swehla-Garcia, had to jump over a few hurdles during the creation process.

“The weeks forward we only had a few vendors, and then the week before we got like 12 vendors,” Daniel Garcia said.

Over 70 tickets were pre-sold, and 200 were sold at the door.

Twenty vendors, selling anything from trinkets to pop figures to art, were pleased by the turnout. Best selling items were POP Figures and art sold by Vinyl Mania and Rob Garner, respectively.

The snack bar, hosted by FFA, ran seamlessly. Attendees were treated to hot dogs, nachos, pizza, and snacks, including chips and cookies, all costing under $10.

The gaming room was the most popular event of the day, with con-frequent vendors reporting that Creek Con’s gaming system had more advanced equipment and gaming systems than most others they’d seen.

VEX-Robotics hosted a robot interactive game, entertaining many young and old attendees alike. A small robot made by VEX student Chris Veniegas was engaged in a small boxed-off space with small, soft balls. Attendees could control the robot with a joystick, allowing it to throw the balls.

The costume contest was small and quick, and not very well-announced (perhaps it occurred too late to attract participants), but both the participants and judges appeared pleased with the results, prizes, and the overall process.

The contest was split into three age ranges: 13 and under, 14 to 17, and 18+. Five Bear Creek students judged each competition. Each winner received a $25 gift card to spend freely at Target.

“Judging the costume contest was actually hard,” judge Chris Gervara, a junior, said. “The costumes were really great; we couldn’t choose.”

Although the event ran smoothly, Daniel already has plans to make next year’s event more successful.

“I want more vendors for next time, more tabletop things, and more interactive stuff,” Garcia said. Some Bear Creek attendees complained that the event should have been targeted more to teens at the host school. The merchandise wasn’t targeted nearly as much towards teens as it was towards middle schoolers, but one could argue this makes perfect sense, since the creator is an eighth grader.

“I wanted it to be communal, since not a lot of people at my school are into comic books,” Garcia said. “Overall, I enjoyed it even though it had its up and downs.”

“The atmosphere was exactly how it should’ve been,” Gevara said. “People were enjoying comics, anime, art…it was like different branches of an industry finally binding together.”