Dating shows feed our need for ‘happily ever after’

Serra Raquel, Entertainment Editor

From dating 25 girls at once to meeting dozens of people naked on an island, millions of people find themselves sitting back once a week to witness countless people in search of love behind a camera.

“The Bachelor,” “The Bachelorette,” “Are You the One?” and “Dating Naked” are prime examples of bizarre dating shows and each has gained widespread popularity over the years, especially among us high schoolers who, in reality, tend to scold boys for talking to more than one girl at a time.

However, ABC’s “The Bachelor” has been a hit for 15 years. The show focuses on the bachelor dating dozens of women at the same time, only to eliminate a handful each week.

“I think it’s completely scripted and stupid,” junior Andrea Silveira said. “Shows like ‘the Bachelor’ and ‘Bachelorette’ promote cheating.”

So what is it about these shows that seems to draw viewers in every week? Do these reality TV shows actually have an impact on people’s values? Or do these bizarre relationships gain mass popularity purely because they are entertaining to watch?

It seems as though viewers often find the people in these shows relatable. Outlandish bickering and drama between the girls being filmed is extremely similar to that of girls at every high school.

“I kind of like seeing the drama between girls because it relates to today,” junior Gabby Gregory said. “Girls are always fighting over guys.”

Through all of the fighting and backstabbing, we all find ourselves guilty of still rooting for a couple to make it through to the end. Many even idolize the type of relationships depicted on such shows.

But, meeting on a reality television show is far from a normal relationship. Whether or not these couples are actually in love is questionable to say the least given their circumstances.

“I don’t watch dating shows because I don’t think it’s the right way to get into a relationship,” senior Bea Dela Cruz said. “It’s not real love.”

The people in these shows claim to be searching for true love, and, in fact, some couples have found their so called “soulmate” on these shows. However, after taking the cameras away, few couples have successfully sustained a strong relationship.

After months spent in search of true love, only six couples are still together as of 2017 out of the 30 total seasons of ‘the Bachelor’ and ‘the Bachelorette.’

“I think that the dating shows start out fake, but I believe the couples on shows could develop into real relationships,” junior Alyssa Erickson said. “But the overall point of the shows is for entertainment.”

There seems to be something about these shows that we as viewers just can’t stay away from. Some enjoy seeing people fight, argue, bicker, or cry, but as each season concludes, we all find ourselves delighted by a happily ever after ending.