Clubs adopt a ‘green space’ to beautify campus

Dead leaves, overgrown weeds, empty bags of chips these pesky things can be found all around the campus. Fortunately, clubs participating in the new Adopt-a-Green-Space program are working to eliminate this debris from the school.

The Adopt-a-Green-Space program founded by L.I.F.E. club is an interactive project that allows clubs on campus to literally “adopt a green space” to maintain and clean throughout the school year.

“The goal would be to improve the physical appearance of our campus as well as have students participate and provide them with a sense of ownership of the school,” L.I.F.E. club advisor Beth Oesterman said. “We’re trying to get clubs and staff members involved.”

L.I.F.E. club received a $250 “minigrant” from the organizers of the annual Earth Day festival held at Victory Park.  These grants are given to educators who encourage their students to take on environment projects.

Project coordinator and L.I.F.E. club member Sophaline Chuong, a senior, said that she decided to take on the lead role of organizing the program because she wanted to leave behind a positive change at Bear Creek. Chuong was surprised at the number of clubs that decided to participate in the program.

“Luckily I had a lot of connections with clubs so it made it easier to get people to join our cause,” Chuong said.

There are a total of fifteen clubs participating in the Adopt-a-Green-Space program: L.I.F.E., Art, LGBTS, Glee, FFA, Red Cross, FNL, BC Latinos, Bruin Java, HOT, Vietnamese, Key, Swing, JCKC, and Kababayan. L.I.F.E. club provided all participants with materials to create a sign with their club name on it.  These signs will be displayed on each club’s adopted green space.

“I love that it’s [the program] giving clubs more opportunity to do something in the school  community,” art advisor Shan Swoverland said. “I hate to see garbage on the ground but seeing our peers clean the mess up expresses model behavior that we’d like everyone to have.”

Clean ups take place on common planning days after school. Gardening equipment and tools are provided by club advisors, teachers, custodial staff and FFA.

On Nov. 13, a total of 45 students from 11 different clubs participated on the first clean up day. Various tasks were completed depending on need.

“We removed dead weeds and branches and raked the leaves around our area,” Red Cross president Anthony Tran said referring to the grass patch in between the B and Q buildings. “Before the clean up, it [the green space] looked horrible but now it actually looks decent.”

The Adopt-a-Green-Space program grants students the opportunity to beautify the campus while earning community service hours.

“I think the program is absolutely amazing,” Tran said. “It’s a great way to help out the custodial staff and also gives clubs the opportunity to get their members to do something helpful on campus.”

Some clubs expressed interest in planting flowers around their green space.

“It’s definitely a future goal,” Oesterman said. “I’d like to see it get done by the end of the year sometime in February during the spring.”

The club that maintains its green space the best will receive a prize as an incentive at the end of the year.