Teens display entrepreneurial drive

Elizabeth Malone, Staff Writer

A famous Star Wars character once said, “Do. Or Do not. There is no try.” Yoda’s words can apply to today’s aspiring entrepreneurs on Bear Creek’s campus.

Ranging from stickers to cakes, students are selling their own brands and products with the help of Instagram, Twitter and word of mouth.

The popularity of using online apps to help sell products began its rise in 2013 when kids started to use second Instagram accounts as “closet” accounts where users sell their own unwanted items for reduced prices. People post pictures of the item along with details of the product and pricing in the description. The belief that “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure” truly applies to these types of accounts.

Some students have moved on from selling their unwanted items to selling their own products.

Senior Erica Cremona bakes and sells her own desserts. Her products consist of cakes, cupcakes and the occasional batch of cookies. Her Instagram account, @ericakkes, displays the detailed and artistically-decorated items she makes for events that range from baby and bridal showers to weddings and birthdays.

Cremona began baking at eight years old when she was visiting her godparents in Idaho. Her godmother owned a bakery and took Cremona to her shop, which is what sparked her motivation. When Cremona returned, she made a birthday cake for her brother and then eventually for other family members, friends and now the Stockton community.

Another example of entrepreneurial drive is senior Lynard Anolin. Anolin began selling his own brand “NVDSZZ” in January of this year. Students can access shirts on Anolin’s Instagram account, @lynard_anolin, or they can purchase them off the website nvdszz.bigcartel.com.

Being new to the game of selling has not discouraged Anolin; he is planning to branch out by producing casual streetwear clothes along with the upcoming senior shirts. Shirts can typically be purchased for $27-$30 each. Products consist of long and short sleeve t-shirts, with each sporting the “NVDSZZ” logo.

Anolin first got the idea for the brand in the seventh grade when he witnessed a friend of his selling his own brand. After saving money, Anolin was able to produce his vision.

“All I can say, is buy locally,” Anolin said. “Always support your local businesses.”

Sophomore Scotty Lariosa is another local retailer, selling his own “Scottman” logo on stickers and shirts.

Lariosa got the idea of his logo while sitting in Wienerschnitzel one day. Ever since then he’s been drawing it on everything. One day he found some vinyl platter, placed the logo on it, produced his stickers and began giving them out and eventually selling them.

“I dream of having my logo on everything and anything I can,” Lariosa said.

Lariosa can be contacted on the Bear Creek campus or can be direct messaged on Instagram @jubberss for inquiries on shirts and stickers.

Physical products are not the only things being sold at Bear Creek. Senior Joshua Argayosa recently began selling his own beats publicly, meaning he makes music for rappers.

Argayosa started by selling his beats privately to artists that were friends and acquaintances but now he is planning to shift online access to his beats on a website. Until then people can contact him on Instagram @smileswashannin for inquiries on purchases. Argayosa charges $30 for a MP3 lease and $40 for a WAV lease along; exclusive rights cost $150 and Argayosa is working on a legal contract for the right to his beats. If people make money off of using the beats, royalties will be paid to Argayosa. So far he has sold 20 beats.

“I do a lot of ‘type music,’” Argayosa said. “People give me an artist they like and I’ll search up the artist and make original beats that’ll relate to the artist. Then after that they contact me on e-mail or Instagram and they pay for the beat through PayPal.”

Branching out to online services provides budding entrepreneurs new connections and opportunities to reach a higher level than word of mouth. Teens have caught on to this trend and are making their own products to make money doing something they love.

“If you have an idea, go out and do it. Even if it doesn’t work,” Cremona said. “My cakes in the beginning were god-awful and I kept going. You definitely will get better and better. There is no failing if you keep trying.”