Two Weeks Left

David Hancock, Staff Writer

Dear educational bureaucrats,

I’m so glad that school is finally over… except it’s not. We’re still here. For two more weeks. WHY!?!?!

The last AP tests were last week. Most of my classes have already done a final, and for those that haven’t we are ready to take the final now if they’d let us. We are done with school — academically, socially, emotionally, and physically — so why the hell are we still here?!?

And this happens every year. The last two weeks of every school year are always total bologna sandwich. They are two weeks of movies, or stupid worksheets, or irrationally overbearing projects from teachers that serve no function besides driving students crazy! Honestly, ask yourself, have you ever really learned anything significant in the last two weeks of a school year? It’s a complete waste of time.

They’ll never admit it, but the real reason schools subject students to two weeks of torture every year is money. Schools earn a certain amount of state money for each student they have present during a school day. That’s also the real reason administration cares so much about absences. Sure, they “care” about you learning and getting an education and all that stuff, but even if a student is “here” they may not be really here. My butt in sitting in a desk as I write this, but my mind is elsewhere. I’m just really ready for school to be over because I’m a senior and I’ve been waking up at 6 a.m. and driving in traffic to sit in uncomfortable chairs for the last four years of my life and I want to move on, but some people are done with school much sooner.

Some people don’t ever invest in school. They don’t give a crap about any of their classes and sleep or goof off all day and whine about how they don’t want to be there, and I say let them leave. They don’t want to be here, and that doesn’t have to be a bad thing! Let them get out and get on with their lives instead of wasting it here. Yes, an education is important and should be valued, but when your “education” consists of 6 uncomfortable naps in desks, then you’re probably better off without it.

Unless someone values their education and is actively learning something even remotely meaningful they are better off elsewhere, which is why the last two weeks of school are completely idiotic. Face it, everyone has clocked out by this time of the year, so why must we drag this out? And it’s not just students, teachers are done too. They’re putting on movies or assigning bonehead assignments just to keep us busy, if even that. Schools are a great place to learn all the other weeks of the school year, but for the two last weeks before summer it becomes a misery factory.

We get it, schools need more money. They always do, but that’s no reason to allow the educational atrocity that is these two weeks. And it’s not like you’re going to use the money wisely either, considering you hardly pay your teachers and our bathroom is still gross as hell.

So you, whoever’s decision it is to elongate the school year for no reason besides money, how about you stop taking from what little independence students have and let us go! The last two weeks do nothing but tarnish what was a great and productive school year. We, students and teachers alike, just want to be free!

If you love us, let us go.

Sincerely,
The students and teachers of Bear Creek High School