Summer school offered at McNair, Lodi campuses

Jerice Banola, Staff Writer

For some, summer is a time of exploration and adventure. For others, summer is a time to catch up in credits or even get ahead through summer school.

This year, summer school offers the same core classes for students, ranging from High School Math to Government CP. However, only five classes are offered that can be taken to get ahead in credits, with the majority of them in the social science department.

“Freeing up my senior year schedule is a big reason why I decided to take Economics CP during summer school,” junior Talena Vo said. “I’m really glad I got in.”

However, the classes where advanced credits can be earned are also the most impacted, with approximately 95 students failing to get in. Thankfully, this is a small portion compared to the number of students who applied district-wide: 1174.

“I’m really glad I turned in my application early to get into summer school,” junior Bryant Wiley said. “Otherwise, I’d be stuck with another class to take my senior year.”

To ensure each student has an equal chance of being accepted, the summer school program is run on a first-come, first-serve basis, rather than credit-need-based.

“First-come, first-serve is meant to ensure each student has the same probability as another,” counselor Ren Pham-Peck said. “It also allows us to have a nice mixture between students that want to attend school and students that need to attend.”

The students that do get accepted face about six hours of school a day, Monday through Friday, with workloads reportedly worth a whole week of school work.
“Attending summer school meant kissing my summer goodbye,” sophomore Robert Robinson said. “My mom said I need to enjoy my summer while I’m young, so I opted out of it.”

Students are also allowed only one absence in each semester class; any more will result in the student being dropped in the class.

“We’re really strict with attendance because of how limited spots are,” Pham-Peck said. “That spot for the absent student could have gone elsewhere.”

Not only does summer school come with strict policies, but some courses are more rigorous than courses taken during the regular school year.

“I took P.E. the summer of my sophomore year and we did more in a day than we did in a whole week for P.E. during the school year,” senior Jason Jimenez said.

This year, summer school will be held at the Lodi and McNair campuses, with students given site preferences when registering.

“Transportation was a major problem for me when I took summer school my sophomore year, so the summer school site was really important,” senior Joshua Argayosa said.

Summer school is a true commitment that means losing an entire summer. While the loss is significant, the credits gained serve as strong compensation.