Seasonal fun activities at Dell’Osso Farms

Kaleb DeLaCruz, Staff Writer

From ziplines that are high in the sky to a spooky haunted house, this family farm books fun and more.
Dell’Osso Family Farm has been around for generations, but it was founded as an asparagus farm in the 1920 by three brothers from Italy.  The farm was then passed down to Rudy Dell’Osso in the 1950s, who was the son of one of the original brothers.  Rudy integrated tomatoes into the crop growing rotation, as well as beans and alfalfa.
In the 1970s Rudy’s son, Ron Dell’Osso, took over the farm and added pumpkins, melons, and sweet corn to the rotation.  Ron and his wife, Susan, created the first corn maze in 1997, and eventually added a haunted house, as well as a pumpkin blaster, to the farm’s Halloween event, called Pumpkin Maze.
Senior Jordin Fry and sophomores Hallie Laing and Alisa Aistrup attended Pumpkin Maze together for a night of getting lost in the Corn Maze and painting miniature pumpkins.
“I would rate my overall experience 12 outta 10 because even if the rides weren’t the greatest, I was there with my friends, and that made it worth my while,” Fry said.
The farm closed to the public on October 31, but will re-open on December 21 for Holidays on the Farm, their winter event.
Petting zoos, ziplines, hayrides, corn mazes and even pumpkin blasting (or really pumpkin launching) are some of the many fun entertaining attractions Dell’Osso farm has to offer at their Halloween event.  Most attractions are included with general admission; other attractions, such as gem mining, pumpkin blasters, ziplines, pony rides and pumpkin painting, all cost $5-$12.
“The corn maze was my favorite attraction because my friends and I had a great time,” Laing said.  “We got lost with each other, while looking for our other friends.”
Dell’Osso farm also features many food vendors that offer such items as soft tacos, bacon wrapped foods, corn maize and a huge variety of sweets, from fudge brownies to caramel covered apples in their store.
Even though there are all these spectacular attractions, there are some that just lack that “it” factor.
“The haunted house wasn’t all that good for something that everyone hyped me for. I was expecting people to pop out of nowhere and spook me, so that got me pretty disappointed when all i got were animatronics and flashing lights. I have to give it to them, though, the scenes did creep me out,” sophomore Alisa Aistrup said.
“I probably disliked the ‘Walk the Plank’ attraction the most because I’m terrified of heights, and it was just one huge fall,” Fry said.
“The Hayride was my least favorite attraction because it was dark, so we went when it was dark, so we couldn’t see the scenery,” Laing said “I also thought it was a little over packed.”
Over 250,000 people visit the farm each October for the Halloween event.  The farm even claims to be one of the nation’s most popular Halloween destinations.  Dell’Osso Family Farm is not only limited to Halloween and winter events.  The farm also hosts a Mud Run in the spring, and a Baconfest held in September, which offers cooking, eating contests, music, entertainment, and alcoholic beverages.
Dell’Osso Family Farm’s Christmas event, Holidays on the Farm, will be open from December 21 to January 6, but will be closed Christmas day.  Admission and parking is free.  The farm will feature many of the same rides as Pumpkin Maze, all of which will be free. Attractions like ice skating will cost $8 Monday through Thursday and $10 Friday through Sunday; rental skates will cost an extra two dollars.  Snow Tubing will cost $20 for all ages and ziplining costs $8 for a ride.  Santa will also be at the farm to take pictures.