Winterfest Court Couples: Lily Tran and Spencer Fulgham

Lily Tran

My proudest accomplishments are getting a 3 on the AP Euro exam and a 5 on the APUSH exam, making the cheer team every year and becoming a captain, winning MVP for cheer my sophomore year, writing and publishing my work in the Bruin Voice newspaper, launching my BookTube, writing 50,000 words of a story every November, maintaining at least a 4.0 every semester, successfully completing college classes, making beautiful friendships with my classmates and teachers, finding my confidence and self-love, and being proud of the person I’ve become.

I am a 4-year legacy cheerleader and Varsity co-captain, co-president of Swing Club and It’s Lit Book Club, secretary of Vietnamese Club, and a member of NHS, CSF, Polynesian, TLC, Magic, Pets N’ Pals, Punjabi Junction, Nerd, and an editor for the Bruin Voice newspaper.  I also played softball for my first two years of high school.

My favorite high school memory is participating in and leading many of the diverse clubs and activities on campus and performing at International Rally.  Anytime I performed in front of a crowd for cheer or clubs is the one of the highlights of my high school experience.

I plan to either attend Delta College and transfer to Roseman University or attend SDSU in order to become a nurse.  I aim to work my way up as a nurse practitioner and eventually travel to foreign countries for mission work to provide healthcare to those who need it. I also want to write and publish novels. My biggest fear is not living up to my full potential.  I want to make a difference in the world and stand up for what I believe in and I fear not achieving those goals.  My dream is to be significant in the movement towards equality for all genders, sexual orientations, ethnicities, and more.  I want to be an advocate for change.My favorite season is summer because it’s the only time in the year that I can relax and enjoy myself.  I get to go camping, go to the beach, and read by the water all summer long.  

Shoutout to my dad Hien Tran, my mom Lieu Tran, my siblings Samantha, Natalie, and Benjamin, my cousins Brennon, Bella, and Dylan, my niece Ayla, my best friend Aryssa Tadena, the Harry Potter squad, my court partner Spencer, Ali, Lisa, Kim, Thuy, Karissa, Jennalyn, all my gals on Winterfest Court, Mr. Clemons, Mrs. Duffel, Ms. Forbis, Señor Gil, Ms. LaRue, and every other person who was helped me get to where I am.

Spencer Fulgham

Over the past 4 years, I’ve learned a lot and I’ve grown a lot. It sounds cliche (okay it is cliche) but High School really did have such a huge impact on me. I found my family in my friends, and I found my home in my school.

I’m extremely proud of a lot of my accomplishments over high school. I’ve always gotten good grades, and I’ve clutched more than my share of them (@ AP Chem). And I hold my 4’s on my APUSH and AP English exams close to my heart while considering what my accomplishments are. But, truly, I’m more proud about my work in Student Government. Being elected Commissioner of Activities meant so much to me, and watching my hard work pay off and impact the school still warms my heart every spirit week. I don’t mean to sound bragy, I’m just happy that I’ve been able to have a high school career with both educational and extracurricular achievements.

Freshman year my club participation was non-existent. Over the years, as with everyone, I slowly joined more and more clubs, and this year my goal is to perform 3 times during International rally (Swing, Punjabi, Vietnamese). While I really just shouldn’t be in Viet Club, Aryssa needed a partner and I said why not ya’know? Swing is by far my favorite of these clubs though, I’m proud of myself for being able to do these moves and I’m thankful I have a partner like Britney who isn’t afraid to let me RKO her during moonflip.

Video games have always been a constant in my life. From The Legend of Zelda to Overwatch, I’ve poured 18 years into my consols, and you can really tell. If you know me at all you know I’m constantly checking my phone to see if there’s any good Pokemon on Pokemon Go, despite the circumstances. More than all other games though, none have impacted my life as much as Pokemon. Starting all the way back in Pokemon Emerald, my obsession grew and spread to almost every single game in the franchise. Video games have impacted my so heavily that I’m hoping to design video games and give children the same fun that I had during my own childhood, and I’m hoping to attend UC Irvine to help me learn how to do all the complex tech-y stuff that can help me achieve my dream.

It’s really hard to choose just one memory I would call my favorite. I mean it’s 4 years, so much happens in 4 years. The obvious contenders are Leadership camp, ASB elections, Junior Homecoming, the late night Dutch Bros trips with Rashad and the girls, and the dozens of Gang parties Jacob’s hosted. In all of my memories tough, my friends are what make them favorites.

Shoutout to my family, specifically my Mom, Randy (cowboy), Aunt and my Grandparents, for guiding me through my childhood and providing me support. And really big shoutout for The Gang, Kristen, TKFMF, Student Gov, Herb, Bella, and anyone else who’s made an impact on my life, which is a lot of people.