Letter to My Freshman Self: Gavin Cardoza

Gavin Cardoza, Staff Writer

Dear Freshman Me,
I don’t care if you think you’re ready for high school or not. I didn’t know what to expect from this school year and I don’t think you will either. So sorry, how rude of me, I haven’t introduced myself, and just from the tone it sounds like I’m scolding a stranger. It’s your freshman self, just about nine months in the future. So I am just about at the end of the year. Now you might be wondering, what could happen in a school year? A whole lot actually, dude. You’re  gonna change this year, for the better. It’s gonna somewhat mold you into what you’re gonna be, but I couldn’t tell you, because I wouldn’t know.
You need the information just for the heads up, because knowing myself, even if I know I should avoid it, it will end up happening anyways. I’ve done every dumb or idiotic thing we both could’ve done, let’s just put it that way.
Those older, scarier looking kids in your journalism class you signed up for? Don’t think of them that way, they are actually good people, but if I were you, and I am, I would try to get to know some of them. Speaking of journalism, expect to join the newspaper staff immediately. You’ll have some fun with that.
Now to your social life that you’re going to begin here at Bear Creek. There is a tree in the center of the quad; that’ll be your main hangout spot. When you first see it, you may not like it, but you’ll get used to it after a while. Just watch out for the guys that pull the bench away from the tree. Don’t ask how they did it, because I couldn’t tell you.
Now the thing you might be wondering the most heading into this year, is what relationships will you get in, if any? Well, it’s more than one. The first one, you won’t be bothered when it ends, you won’t need that person anyways. The second? Well, let me put it this way: don’t ever make assumptions, or jump to conclusions. Do that, and you’ll be happy. Just don’t be the idiot you are. This year people are gonna tell you things, nice things actually, about you, that you didn’t think of yourself as. Well, don’t deny it, ‘cause looking back, a lot of those things were true.
You’re gonna have highs and you’re gonna have lows, the year will probably not end in the way you think, your mind is gonna become something other than you thought it was, you’re going to strengthen your friendships, and lose some in the process, but what the hell, right?  High school is a once in a lifetime experience, so enjoy the first year. It’s the only freshman year you’re ever going to get.
Sincerely yours,
Gavin Cardoza