Letter to My Freshman Self: Kylie Yamada

Kylie Yamada, Editor

Dear Freshman Kylie,
Don’t worry.  No other year is nearly as bad as freshman year.
I’ll never understand how some people were happy when they first got to high school.  14-year-old Kylie was awkward, unhappy, isolated and lost.  I remember coming to school every day nervous and full of dread.  It felt like everyone else knew who they wanted to be and what they wanted to do. Class material you struggle with comes naturally to everyone else.
Here’s a secret, though: it all works out. You get into UCLA, you’re not as bad at math as you thought, and you find a major that works for you.
I don’t know what my legacy will be when I graduate.  I can only hope that it’s positive, but to be frank, you’re kind of a jerk.  I can say that cause you’re me and a perfect 14-year-old is an oxymoron.  I like to think that I’ve gotten nicer as I’ve gotten older, but who really knows? Someone else probably has a totally different view on me.
I think that’s the best lesson I’ve learned in high school.  Anyone who thinks they know what’s going on is probably wrong.  Live life like everything could fall apart at any minute.
To be completely honest, I can’t pretend to be in a blissful nirvana right now.  I’m currently still stressed out about my grades and it’s looking like it’ll be that way until the very last day of school.
So here are some things you can treasure about freshman year: your allergies aren’t as bad as they are now, your Glee officers are still there and amazing and you don’t have any AP tests to worry about.
But there’s so much more to be excited for in the future.  BC Comedy/ComedySportz is so much fun and I already know I’m gonna miss it when I leave.  Glee Club is messy at times, but it gets better and the group you have senior year is easily your favorite.  And, of course, Journalism is a treasure every day and afternoon you stay after school.
I don’t know what to think about college.  I think I’m scared to get too excited about it.  It still feels like it could get taken away at any moment.  I can only hope that if I do get there and things don’t go horribly awry, I’m happy in Los Angeles.  A big city completely different from where I am now sounds like a fun time.
Love, Kylie