Letter to My Freshman Self: Kaylanie Saldua

Kaylanie Saldua and Staff Writer

Dear Freshman Kaylanie,
You’re probably high off of adrenaline from your sprint finish in the cross country meet. Enjoy it while it lasts because you’ll quit your sophmore year. Yeah, you didn’t get that four-year trophy like you hoped you would. Cross country wasn’t the only thing you quit. Junior year you realized you didn’t want to be a computer software engineer anymore, thanks to Mr. Khan, your future programming teacher. You also didn’t get into University of California Irvine, so there goes all of your future plans and dreams.  Also, that guy you like right now? It’s not worth it. It goes nowhere.
The next three years isn’t all negative, I promise. You were able to experience what you wanted in high school — relationships, parties, driving, and memories. Yes, you got a boyfriend. You were able to experience an actual relationship and, no, it wasn’t with the freshman guy. But it wasn’t all sunshines and rainbows like you wanted. It was pretty toxic, but at least you know what to expect in future relationships. I know we made our instagram on the first day of freshman year and honestly it has filled up with memories over the course of high school. From spirit days to trips to hanging out with friends, we’ve had a pretty great time.
Sure, we are no longer going to UCI — zot zot not not — but we are commited to San Jose State. You aren’t going to be a computer software engineer anymore but you found a passion for education and now plan to be a teacher. You plan to teach elementary school but you also plan to travel and teach in foreign countries. So let’s fill up those passports!
High school was filled with highs and lows but it is going to help you figure out yourself. That was cheesy. Honestly, enjoy everything right now, because it flies by.  You’ll find yourself planning the next part of your life when you just finished one.
Love,  Senior Kaylanie