Letter to My Freshman Self: Giancarlo Lizarraga

Giancarlo Lizarraga, Editor

Dear Freshman Self,
When you first entered high school dealing with life was easy.  Getting all A’s in your classes was a given, you managed to make a new batch of friends (you’ll be happy to know that those friends have stayed with you throughout all of high school), and, like always, you lacked any drama in your personal life.
Luckily this is what most of high school will be like, but there are some challenging roads ahead.
Classes will get harder; junior year will be a conglomeration of stress when you’re trying to balance taking multiple AP tests, extracurriculars, and some personal dilemmas.  Expect to be panicking late into the evening writing an essay due by midnight.  Expect to be guiltily browsing Twitter and watching YouTube videos instead of studying for a test.  Expect to somehow make it through alive with grades you’ll learn to accept for what they are.
However furious or disheartened your friends are with each other, expect to not get involved with their pointless affairs.  Expect to make and then immediately lose some connections along the way.  Expect your heart to break and your energy to drain, expect the time to pass by quickly and then suddenly you’re all grown up.
While you’re still in the past, remember to cherish life in the moment.  I wish I had spent more time with my dad while he still lived close by.  I wish I had spoken up about my family’s irksome habits.  I wish I had found someone to share my life with rather than deal with my problems alone.
Don’t be discouraged, there were plenty of ways in which your time in high school will be amazing.  You will spend four years in Bear Creek’s drama program and by senior year you’ll even have co-directed one of the shows.  Glee club and BC Comedy (they are not part of ComedySportz anymore) both provided you with the opportunity to entertain your peers and prepare the following year’s kids to do the same.  Despite your inclination to procrastinate you’ll still achieve academic success and end up attending University of the Pacific with a prestigious scholarship to boot.
High school will be wonderful, but by the end of it you’ll be glad it’s over.  The friends you’ll make along the way will no doubt last beyond the concrete walls you walk to class through.  Your grades will only matter for graduating and getting into college, so don’t worry obsessively over them.
Maybe we should both take to heart this last bit of advice: love the moment you’re in because it’s the last of its kind.
Love, Giancarlo