Students reflect on helpfulness of Bruin Bonanza activities

Bailey Kirkeby, News Editor

The second annual Bruin Bonanza, an event on the first day of school, was started last year by Bear Creek’s leadership classes as a way to help freshmen assimilate to high school. This year, the event included rotations with presentations about the Bruin Way, goal-setting, and Bear Creek’s rules and expectations.
While the Bonanza is tailored towards freshmen, the slideshows are still useful for returning students, as they review the school’s rules and inform students of newly-implemented policies, such as the tardy policy.
Despite the event’s intentions, the Bruin Bonanza has caused both under and upperclassmen alike to question how helpful this day of festivities truly is.
“It was awful, it was horrendous, it’s a waste of time for anyone who’s not a freshman, and even for the freshmen, it might be a little bit of a waste of time,” senior Robert Robinson said. “I get what they’re doing, but I don’t think these freshmen need to have their hand held as much. When are they gonna learn to be self-sufficient?”
Some freshmen said the Bonanza was uninteresting and did not effectively prepare them for the school year in an engaging way.
“It was too long,” freshman Kyle Harris said. “It was kind of boring. I almost fell asleep.”
Others, however, found the Bonanza helpful in teaching important aspects of Bear Creek.
“I thought it was really helpful… it gave me an insight on the school year and what it’s all about,” freshman Dylan Dawson said. “I liked how it was so in-depth.”
Although returning students were already aware of Bear Creek’s rules and expectations, some still enjoyed the Bonanza for its other aspects.
“I liked it because… it wasn’t really that much work and we had time to relax and also meet our teachers,” sophomore Samadith Contreras said.
Regardless of their stance on the Bruin Bonanza, many students said that the event has room for improvement, offering suggestions on how it can be enhanced in the future.
“The presentations weren’t really needed,” Contreras said.
“Maybe they could add… more games,” sophomore Anabel Moreno said.
“I would just make it a non-mandatory event,” Robinson said.
The leadership classes that organize the Bruin Bonanza — Student Government, Link Crew, Conflict Mediation, and AVID — plan to make changes to the event to make it more inclusive for students in all grade levels.
“It does seem a little more tailored towards the younger classes and the upper classes feel like it’s a waste of time,” senior assembly member Ryan Duff said. “I do understand that. I think that their concerns are valid, and that is something that we are looking at to revise for the following years and how we can make it better for all classes and all students.”

About the Writer
Bailey Kirkeby, Managing Editor, News Editor, Staff Writer

With junior year testing my limits every waking moment, I am delighted to partake in my first year of journalism and relieve some of my stress...