What makes a club?

Last year, Bear Creek’s International Rally debuted a club unlike any other: Arab Club. Compared to the more formal, conventional clubs offered at Bear Creek, such as Polynesian and Swing, the club—consisting primarily of a single group of friends—raised concerns over its legitimacy.
Members of other cultural clubs passionately claim that “Arab Club is not a club” due to its lack of organization and, well, lack of Arabs.
“Personally, I feel like Arab Club is a great organization, but from last year, people weren’t taking it as seriously as they should’ve,” senior Chelsea No, president of Swing and Make-A-Wish, said. “It just needs to be stricter and taken more seriously instead of being a club anyone can join and perform however they want to.”
Ahmad Annous, president and founder of Arab Club, said that students are unaware of how much time and effort it takes to run a functional club.
“It’s really a shame, because I’m out here trying to start a club,” Annous said. “It’s extremely hard to start a club, and I don’t think people understand that.”
Many students with passionate objectives to imprint on campus apply for council positions of certain clubs. Nevertheless, students admit that they also try to become council members to add something to their college applications.
The idea of the purpose of joining certain clubs has changed over time, from spreading the ideologies of cultures to appealing more to the social aspects of being part of a club. There is also recognition with the idea that students join clubs due to the clubs’ popularity or because their friends are joining the club.
“Mainly, I see [club sign ups] as which club is the most popular… for example, Swing or Poly,” junior Amritpreet Mahal, board member of Swing and Punjabi Junction, said. “They are the two biggest International clubs and they grow each year.”
All school clubs are created for the following reasons: to serve the community through volunteer work, to spread a culture, or for recreational purposes. This school year, senior Blake Supinger founded the Ping Pong Club.
“We just wanted to develop our skills as table tennis masters,” Supinger said.
The addition of a club in the recreational category sparked the questions of the purpose of clubs and why students join clubs today. Ping Pong Club has proven that not all clubs have to consist of a rigorous regimen of objectives for the year.
“[The purpose behind any club is] to get people to not only do something after school but to come together and do something that we normally wouldn’t do during school and have fun with it,” Annous said.
“I’d say the purpose of clubs on this campus is to take part in a community of students that share interests,” Supinger said. “[Clubs] serve as an outlet to express those interests.”
At the end of the day, all clubs should share one objective: to put smiles on students’ faces.