Team tryouts are overwhelming students

Jacqueline Guillena, Staff Writer

Tryouts can be very intimidating for athletes — especially if they’ve never tried out for a team or if it’s a new sport they haven’t played before.
For most athletes, overcoming nerves is the hardest thing to do, but getting those nerves under control is possible. Athletes are encouraged to go through the day keeping a positive attitude and surrounding themselves with encouraging people.
“Athletes perform better when in a more comfortable and positive environment,” varsity volleyball player Samaya Royal, a senior, said.
Most potential players fear not making the team or worry how they will stand out in a field of other competitive athletes.
“To be seen by coaches quicker, put your best foot forward and don’t miss a day of tryouts,” JV water polo player Sienna Moreno, a junior, said.
During tryouts, interact positively with others and use positive body language; coaches also look for athletes who demonstrate their abilities and knowledge of the sport, such as knowing positions or handling the ball.
“One of the little tricks in tryouts is to always keep eye contact with the coaches during drills and when the coach is giving you input,” Ronnie Woodard said in an online interview with U.S. Youth Soccer.
Students who don’t normally play a sport can still tryout and make the team. In fact, many may not realize that they have hidden talents, which might come out when trying out for a sport.
“You have all the keys,” Royal said. “It’s your decision to unlock the door that will lead you down the right path and show what you are capable of.”
Coaches usually appreciate having an athlete approach them after tryouts to ask what they can do to improve. Asking for criticism takes a lot of courage, but receiving feedback is often beneficial, as the coach sees that the athlete wants to work harder to have a spot on the team.
“Athletes need to be ready to hear a coach’s criticism,” varsity volleyball coach Kirk Klucznik said. “It’s okay to ask for advice as long as the athlete is willing to hear what the coach has to say.”
Students are often overwhelmed after tryouts are over, as all they can think about is making the team — but those who are really dedicated to a sport don’t give up if they get cut from the team; a dedicated to player will continue to work towards getting better and achieving their goals.
“Take the tryout as a lesson to work harder for next season,” basketball player Shelton Thompson, a junior, said. “Work on different ways to improve your skills.”

About the Writer
Jacqueline Guillena, Staff Writer

I love photography and traveling. I'm a volleyball player and it's my third year being part of Bear Creek's volleyball team. I'm part of BC Latinos and...