New Year’s resolutions almost always fail – but take steps now to achieve success

Leilany Perez, Opinion Editor

New Year’s resolutions almost always fail. Many people hope that the flipping of a calendar page will mark a significant change in their lives, and with confidence, people are determined to accomplish their New Year’s resolutions. It doesn’t take long, however, for most to realize that change ─ any change ─ is hard.
According to “Business Insider,” about 80 percent of people fail to stick to their New Year’s resolutions for longer than six weeks; in a study about keeping a person’s resolution, led by Kaitlin Woolley from Cornell University and Ayelet Fishbach from the University of Chicago, participants said that enjoyment and importance were key factors that led them decide whether or not to stick to their resolutions.
Junior Janelle Barayuga says she makes her New Year’s resolutions to pursue and accomplish goals in her life.
“Yes, I do New Year’s resolutions,” Barayuga said. “They are to have better health and to live life to the fullest and to enjoy life as much as I can.”
Overthinking a goal can sometimes cause people to become stressed, thinking that their resolution is unattainable. A person who is dedicated can also lose hope.
Sophomore Jazmin Laniohan, whose New Year’s resolutions are to make new friends and try to eat healthier, knows how challenging resolutions can be.
“[Sometimes] I don’t put a lot of effort into it when I don’t feel like it,” Laniohan said.
Another reason for failure is that people make resolutions that are not very realistic. Losing a large amount of weight in only a few days is unrealistic and will most likely fail. Another reason for failure is resolutions are vague. Some examples include “I’m going to become a better person” or “I am going to stay healthy.” These resolutions don’t define what someone specifically needs to do to succeed.
Many people push themselves too hard when trying to pursue their resolutions. Some don’t have the confidence to even pursue those resolutions. However, they must have the right mindset in order to make their New Year’s resolution achievable.
“They can keep their New Year’s resolution by keeping that motivation and if they really wanted to change in that year then they would’ve done something about it,” Barayuga said.
“They could remind themselves about their resolution or maybe put effort into what their trying to reach,” Laniohan said. “It takes time to reach your goal.”
An important aspect to remember is that starting anew doesn’t need to happen only at the new year. Change can start at any time.
Sophomore Laura Zamora, who seeks to get a 4.0 GPA and to set time aside for family and extracurriculars, sets goals for herself anytime throughout the year.
“I think the best time to make a goal is whenever you think you’re ready to push yourself towards what your goal is,” Zamora said. “Anytime would be okay as long as you’re ready.”
To accomplish a New Year’s resolution, know exactly what is going to be achieved and have a plan to make it happen, and don’t give up so quickly and go back to old ways and habits.